Uwharrie Kodak Update

The Kodak workday burned a lot of people along with how some other things have been handled. Being lied to usually doesn't sit well with most.
Lot's of things have burned the bridges. I used to do the "Work Weekends" Two days of work and a good bit of planning before. I ran the workdays for a few years also. Basically we put up fence that got torn down and the FS didn't care, we worked countless hours with the "promise" of a possible new trail maybe someday... We never or rarely see the grant funds put into place and the communication of when they may or will be used is non existent.
Not saying Terry or anyone before her is a liar, they can only do what the bosses and bureaucracy lets them do, it's just a hard situation to be involved with when you are trying to save and enhance "our" trails and see so little progress and even trail closures when that's what we are trying to save!

in referring to uwharrie, it is not public land. It is owned by the Indian Nation. The forest service is more of a steward of the land. It's kind of a complex relationship.

in referring to uwharrie, it is not public land. It is owned by the Indian Nation. The forest service is more of a steward of the land. It's kind of a complex relationship.

I have to ask, what "Indian nation " owns uwharrie????

i don't remember which tribe. it was made a national forest in the 60's then sometime in the late 80s i think, the land was awarded back to the Indian nation in some settlement. not sure of all the details that took place but, since it was an established park the nation leased the land back to the government or some other type of arrangement. i think Uwharrie might be the only national forest in this type of setup. all i know it that just about any issue or change to the park seems to requires sign off from the nation. The Forrest Service can provide more info if your interested. the History of the Uwharrie area is kinda of interesting see if you can dig up some specifics. i'll see what i can find next time i'm over that way if i don't forget.

Last edited:
I don't believe that is accurate.
The URE area is one of the newest national forest. In fact it is one of only 2 or 3 that were purchased after ww2.

I know Reagan actually wanted to sell it to the Lumbees and a sale was discussed but, Inc, never approved.

I'm not sure how the selling of NF lands would even be possible under the Weeks Act....but admittedly lots of weird things with fed lands happened under the Clinton administration....so I won't say impossible.

But I can just about guarantee you that we don't have federal foresters or rangers working land that isn't owned by the federal government....this would be a much much bigger issue that isn't even worth typing a book about here.

i don't remember which tribe. it was made a national forest in the 60's then sometime in the late 80s i think, the land was awarded back to the Indian nation in some settlement. not sure of all the details that took place but, since it was an established park the nation leased the land back to the government or some other type of arrangement. i think Uwharrie might be the only national forest in this type of setup. all i know it that just about any issue or change to the park seems to requires sign off from the nation. The Forrest Service can provide more info if your interested. the History of the Uwharrie area is kinda of interesting see if you can dig up some specifics. i'll see what i can find next time i'm over that way if i don't forget.

I've heard this before too. From Terry I think it was.

I got my notice from the Forest Service that the Kodak Rock area in question is now permanently closed. There was a legal notice published in the Montgomery Herald announcing the opportunity to object to this decision on August 21, 2019 and no written objections were received by the end of the 45 day objection period which was October 4, 2019. Dang I must have missed my delivery of the Montgomery Herald during this time...
SO as of October 9, 2019, the Kodak rock area in question is closed permanently.

There was a legal notice published in the Montgomery Herald announcing the opportunity to object to this decision on August 21, 2019 and no written objections were received by the end of the 45 day objection period which was October 4, 2019.

Typical BS.

I don't have much to add but there is a local guy that when I talk to him about URE he always calls it ''The Reservation''. Never asked him why he calls it that.

Yeah because everyone reads the Montgomery Herald.
And don't forget, only people in Montgomery county go to Uwharrie...:rolleyes:

I don't believe that is accurate.
The URE area is one of the newest national forest. In fact it is one of only 2 or 3 that were purchased after ww2.

I know Reagan actually wanted to sell it to the Lumbees and a sale was discussed but, Inc, never approved.

I'm not sure how the selling of NF lands would even be possible under the Weeks Act....but admittedly lots of weird things with fed lands happened under the Clinton administration....so I won't say impossible.

But I can just about guarantee you that we don't have federal foresters or rangers working land that isn't owned by the federal government....this would be a much much bigger issue that isn't even worth typing a book about here.
Clinton administration also screwed pisgah! Shut down joe white Jeep trail. It also locked 3/4 of the gates permanetly .

Back