Uwharrie N.F. Badin Lake OHV Trail Expansion/Re-route Project

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
There was a letter and map sent out about the up coming Expansion and Re-route project of the OHV system. Since it was sent via snail mail I am going to re-type it on here for everyone to read.

Dear Uwharrie National Forest User:

The Uwharrie National Forest is proposing an expansion of the Badin Lake OHV Trail System, by adding a new Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) trail, and rerouting two existing trails. The new trail construction will be at the Art Lilley Trailhead and go north and connects to Forest Road 516. This new trail will be called Lake View Trail. The reroutes will take place on Dutch John and Slab Pile OHV Trails. The approximate lengths of this project are 1.6 miles for the entire Lake View Trail, 0.4 mile for the Dutch John Trail reroute, and 0.3 mile for the Slab Pile Trail reroute. Along these three trails there will be sections of guiderail installed to keep people within the trail corridor in order to protect sensitive resources. On the enclosed project map, the Lake View Trail is labeled #1, the Dutch John Trail is labeled #2, and the Slab Pile Trail is labeled #3.

We welcome your involvement with this decision. If you have questions about this project please contact Drew Brown at the Uwharrie National Forest at (910)567-6391. The name of this project is the Badin Lake OHV Trail Expansion and Reroutes.

In accordance with 36 CFR 215.6(a)(3), individuals or organizations wishing to be eligible to appeal most provide the following information:

1)Your name and address.
2)Title of Proposed Action.
3)Specific comments (215.2) on the proposed actions, along with supporting reasons that the Responsible Official should consider in reaching a decision.
4)Your signature or other means of identification verification. For organizations, a signature or other means of identification verification must be provided for the individual authorized to represent your organization.

Comments must be postmarked or received within 30 days beginning the day after publication of the notice in the Montgomery Herald. The legal notice for this project will be printed on May 16, 2012. The comment period ends June 16, 2012. Oral or hand-delivered comments must be received within normal business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Comments may be mailed electronically to our office, in a common digital format, to comments-southern-north-carolina-uwharrie@fs.fed.us .

Sincerely,

Theresa Stevens Savery for:

DEBORAH L. WALKER
District Ranger, Uwharrie Ranger District

Since I cannot scan the map onto my computer (and seeing how its an old outdated map anyway), I put the locations on a current map (that all ready has lake view on it) so you can see the areas in question:

aimg16.imageshack.us_img16_7610_badinlakeohvexpansionan.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7610/badinlakeohvexpansionan.jpg

(Click on link for Full Size)

Keep in mind these re-routes on Dutch John and Slab Pile are mainly due to sensitive resource issues.There are future re-routes of Dutch John needed to hydrology issues also.

I for one fully support the rerouting of these trails and the opening of new ones. I will help with anything i can on these also.

I changed my wording to reflect sensitive issues instead of the original wording. Beyond that there isn't much I can do. I would also remove it from your reply to make it complete. I thinks its a little overkill (I assume people on here know better) but I guess its better to be safe than sorry.

According to confidential inside sources the Uwharrie district is getting some push back from the Atlanta regional office on "opening new OHV trails". Although we have good FS personnel at Uwharrie that work well with the OHV community, there is higher authority on the chain of command that has the ultimate say so. My personal feeling is that given the money already spent and the status of the project, the new trail will probably open, but past experience working with the FS tells me to believe it when I see it!

Any idea if this trail will be open before the Uwharrie Jamboree in October?

Scott

The goal from my understanding is to have the trail open sometime in October, so that may or may not end up being before the Jamboree. They don't have a specific date set yet, and even when they do set one there are no guarantees.

Last edited:
Boy how fast things change. What I found out on the workday was that a section of trail they had planned on using for the Lake View Trail now has issues (archaeological, plants, etc) so they have to find an alternate location for that section of trail. They are looking at going to back to another old trail bed along with other options. According to the Forest Service they have now went out and Flagged possible routes for the trail 3 times, so this seems to be an on going thing. What does this mean for us? No Lake View Trail till next year sometime. Mainly due to the above, and that the new trail is ending up costing more money than expected.

What they are focusing on now instead is getting the re-routes done. And they now should be done sometime mid October.

According to my confidential sources, the Uwharrie District is getting some push back from the FS Regional Office on the Lake View Trail opening. The thinking of the current FS regional directors, under the direction of the current federal administration, is that OHV areas need to be reduced in size, not increased in size! Personally, I doubt we will ever see it open!

According to my confidential sources, the Uwharrie District is getting some push back from the FS Regional Office on the Lake View Trail opening. The thinking of the current FS regional directors, under the direction of the current federal administration, is that OHV areas need to be reduced in size, not increased in size! Personally, I doubt we will ever see it open!

YEA, like NC has SO MUCH OHV area!:mad:

Lucky URE isnt adjacent a military base, we'd have an even steeper hill to climb.

Kinda like Johnson Valley over in Cali ?

Good news is Wolf Den / Dutch John are open again.

Is there anything we can do this year to help open the Lake View Trail?
We need to do our homework like the bike guys have done. In one of the meetings the rangers said it came about because they had done all the leg work and even secured a grant to cover the cost. Maybe Scott fields can give more details on what they did...

Back