Uwharrie Newbie

blunderlust

I just a bought a Wrangler last month and I want to take the wife and kids out to Uwharrie to play but it's mostly stock and don't really want to break anything or go rock crawling (yet:)
\
Anyway, what's the best trail for beginners? Are they clearly marked and all?
I will probably try to put together a beginners guide when I get back so any info will be helpful. Thanks!

I just a bought a Wrangler last month and I want to take the wife and kids out to Uwharrie to play but it's mostly stock and don't really want to break anything or go rock crawling (yet:)
\
Anyway, what's the best trail for beginners? Are they clearly marked and all?
I will probably try to put together a beginners guide when I get back so any info will be helpful. Thanks!
You should be set for most any of the trails, the map is a good guide that I see floating around here often
The trails aren't all that well marked, especially at intersections and such, but you should end up having a great time

There is a work weekday coming up this saturday 19th, this is a good way to meet the trails and to meet some great people. This is in the "friends of URE" section. I also hand out free maps at my Hot Dog Cart, these were made recently by draider90 and by far the best map! Hope to see you at the meeting at 9:00am. And welcome to the forum!

As mentioned, you could do everything in 2wd, if it was dry, and IF you had a fair understanding of what you were doing. Hard to tell from one post how easy you arfe looking for, but I would recommend you stay away from Daniel trail, it is the most challenging trail at UNF. Rocky Mount Loop has some good stuff, but bypasses around it all. Dickey Bell would probably be then next in line for difficulty. The hillclimb up Dutch John could scare a newbie too, but not a problem if dry, in 4wd.
Grab a map and don't wheel alone, you should be good. The trails are marked pretty well, but some of the intersections can be confusing.

Here is the map reference above:

badinlaketrailmaprevise.jpg

Also as mentioned the trail intersections are going to be your biggest issue in navigating the trails.

Depending on how long you are staying here is a good beginners run:

Take 553 down to the bottom entrance of Falls Dam.
Take the First Exit (Right) on to Wolfs Den.
Stay on Wolfs Den, turn right onto Slab Pile.
Slab Pile dead ends into Rocky Mnt Loop, make a left.
Make a left onto Saw Mill and fallow it down.
Saw Mill Dead Ends into Slab Pile, turn right.
Slab Pile dead ends into Wolfs Den, turn right again.
Take 576 out.

If you still have time after all that trail riding and want more of a challenge, go back down 553. Instead of going straight/right onto Falls Dam, make a left on Dickey Bell. Take Dickey Bell (crossing back over 553) till it dead ends into Rocky Mnt Loop, turn right onto Rocky Mnt. Loop. You will come out at the Double Parking Lot. If you haven't had lunch yet stop by the Hot Dog Stand and you won't be disappointed. (Presuming its the weekend and he is out there).

Just took my first trip to URE today. It was great and plan to go back again. Went ahead and bought a season pass rather than a day pass.

No real trouble with any of the trails I got to ride today. Plenty of good trails that a stock rig can handle.

Be sure to print out the map above, it's alot more detailed than the map you can get at the Outpost.

Just took my first trip to URE today. It was great and plan to go back again. Went ahead and bought a season pass rather than a day pass.

No real trouble with any of the trails I got to ride today. Plenty of good trails that a stock rig can handle.

Be sure to print out the map above, it's alot more detailed than the map you can get at the Outpost.

^^bump for the map idea, the ones you get at the outpost suck.

every trail leads back to a main gravel road, jus take the map, ride around and choose your lines good and you'll be fine. but dont go alone, take tools just in case. and be ready for one crazy addiction to set in!!
i went last year with a buddy for the first time.... $6000, all winter, bunch of beer and busted knuckles later, i built my own rig and eat sleep and breath wheeling now!
great family thing to do too!

My first time was up Wolfs Den...they told me that it was going to be easy..and it was. But they took me down Slab Pile and up Dickey Bell...wasn't as easy in my stock Rodeo...

if dickey bell is the rocky hill climb i think it is, that is deff not a stock rig type trail. i went up it no prob, but my 2 buddys had some problems with their 32's and open diffs on an 88 ranger and 89 cherokee both with 3" lift

props for doing it in a rodeo tho bro!

^^bump for the map idea, the ones you get at the outpost suck.

Chris, the owner of the Outpost has a copy of the above map posted in the front window (blown up a bit bigger). I don't know if he is printing out copies of the maps, but you can always ask if they have any of the "ones like in the window" printed out. I will actually talk to him about this when I talk to him about the next Trail work day. I try to keep it updated every couple months as the trails change.

As far as Dickey Bell goes Bell Hill (the rock hill climb) is the hardest obstacle for a stock rig. There are lines that a stock truck can make (when its dry) but it will still be a challenge. If memory serves correct (and as I have it marked on the map) the right hand line is the easiest. The middle line is more difficult, and the left hand line with the big hole is the hardest. Only a couple years ago you could do the left hand line with a stock rig on 235s. Dickey Bell has grown in difficulty, but the rest of the trail is still fairly easy.:beer:

My first time was up Wolfs Den...they told me that it was going to be easy..and it was. But they took me down Slab Pile and up Dickey Bell...wasn't as easy in my stock Rodeo...

If you are talking the April trip I remember you guys were doing that run while the little group that was with me did Rocky Mount Loop, Saw Mill, and Slab Pile. Because we used to do the down Falls Dam, and up Dickey Bell run ALL the time, and we wanted to do something different. That used to be the bunny run, but Dickey Bell has been getting harder so its not as much of a bunny run anymore.

Back