Vermont Title Trick - Does it work?

BNielsen

Recently I have come into possession of a very nice 2000 Chevy K3500, CCLB with a 6.5L/4L80E. It was purchased from a junkyard with the help of a friend due to the yard only selling to individuals with a dealer's license.
The reason the truck was in the salvage yard is due to the fact it was an impound by the city of Kannapolis; I'm assuming it had to do with the derelict vehicle by-laws I heard the city had been cracking down on. With it being an impound truck, no title; is it true I can send my Bill of Sale to the VT DMV and get a title and tag for the truck?

And has anyone on here had first hand experience with going this route to replace a title? All of my Google-fu only resulted in dated articles about how someone's brother's cousin's neighbor pulled the trick.
Pic of the truck for shigs and giggles;
5647OhI.jpg

Poke around on skoolie.net those guys would know first hand all the ins and outs of the VT title trick. I think their forum.might even have a sticky about it.

Interesting. Never heard of this. I've looked at tons of junkyard cars/trucks over the years and walked away knowing it was a shitshow trying to get it road legal. I'm in SC. I assume it's easier than in NC, but honestly haven't persued it.

When I lived in VT, it was a bill of sale state, but I also remember needing that bill of sale to line up with the name of the last person to register it.

Most people use VT to register buses as motorhomes. You will need to title, tag, and insure the vehicle in VT. This can be done with an out of state address.......I wouldn't be excited about explaining that to an officer at the side of the road. NC has been on a tear about new residences needing to convert property to taxable income ASAP.

I know this works for motorcycles. In VT, motorcycles 350 cc or less do not have titles. Only a registration. You can register a cycle in VT and use that registration to obtain a title. Adventure Rider forum has several pages discussing this.

When I lived in VT, it was a bill of sale state, but I also remember needing that bill of sale to line up with the name of the last person to register it.

Most people use VT to register buses as motorhomes. You will need to title, tag, and insure the vehicle in VT. This can be done with an out of state address.......I wouldn't be excited about explaining that to an officer at the side of the road. NC has been on a tear about new residences needing to convert property to taxable income ASAP.
I'd assume the point wouldn't be to have a VT title, but once you have a VT title to then uset hat to apply for an NC title. You don't keep the VT long enough to matter.

South Dakota has a similar thing, you don't have to be a state resident to get title and tags there. A lot of Californians title their old trucks that can't pass smog in SD.

I wouldn't be excited about explaining that to an officer at the side of the road. NC has been on a tear about new residences needing to convert property to taxable income ASAP.
It would be perfectly normal for a VT business to have the vehicles they own be tagged and titled in VT.

The biggest question I would have, is does the truck have a lien on the title?

If not, you should be able to go through the bonded title process in NC. It takes a few months, last I heard, but I dont know anyone whos done it in the last yr.

With the same question, not sure if VT/SD will register it, if it has liens on it in another state?

There
Interesting. Never heard of this. I've looked at tons of junkyard cars/trucks over the years and walked away knowing it was a shitshow trying to get it road legal. I'm in SC. I assume it's easier than in NC, but honestly haven't persued it.
anything that is 25 years old or older SC will issue a title for without any BOS....

just 2 forms, a state trooper visual inspection, and a vin search

I retitled a 72 k% this way and later sold it to @98yota .... i think he got a perfectly clean and easy nc title...

So I know a guy with a Bronco I'd like to have to match my 96 crew. Guy bought it new, started having financial problems, stopped making payments, assumed it would just get repo'd. No one ever came and got it, dealership is now defunct. Any way to get a title for it 25 years later even though I guess it still technically has a lien on it? The thing is immaculate, been moved around the yard monthly over that time. Free to me if I can figure out how to get the title. The guy just wants it gone and it's not worth jumping through the hoops for him...I think that translates to he doesn't wanna get zapped for the $8k he still owes on it.

There

anything that is 25 years old or older SC will issue a title for without any BOS....

I retitled a 72 k% this way and later sold it to @98yota .... i think he got a perfectly clean and easy nc title...
Good to know.

So I know a guy with a Bronco I'd like to have to match my 96 crew. Guy bought it new, started having financial problems, stopped making payments, assumed it would just get repo'd. No one ever came and got it, dealership is now defunct. Any way to get a title for it 25 years later even though I guess it still technically has a lien on it? The thing is immaculate, been moved around the yard monthly over that time. Free to me if I can figure out how to get the title. The guy just wants it gone and it's not worth jumping through the hoops for him...I think that translates to he doesn't wanna get zapped for the $8k he still owes on it.

I would try to find out if it has a lien on it. Not sure what that process is. I would think there is a process for removing the lien, if the lien holder doesnt exist anymore

If you could get it to SC.
You could do the above process in a year or so....and it is free ...if it clears interpol youd have a title if not theyd just say title denied.

I would try to find out if it has a lien on it. Not sure what that process is. I would think there is a process for removing the lien, if the lien holder doesnt exist anymore

I don’t even know if the dealership matters…I’d imagine a bank of Ford Motor Credit are the ones that held the note…but probably written off at this point.

I researched the bonded title a little bit and would like to hear from someone who has done it.

I talked with my friend's father about this; he's the one who helped my brother buy the truck (in turn I bought it from him) and he said they're starting the process to get a bonded title for it.
As nifty as the VT title trick might be, since I've got a metaphorical foot in the door to the world of re-titling vehicles and such, I will probably go with the assistance I've been offered.
------------------------------------
I don't know anything about VT title laws, but I REALLY want/like that truck!
Thanks! It's dream truck #2; I really didn't even have it on my radar, my brother had the big ideas for it but since he was moving back to Iowa he needed money, so I payed him the $1500 he had invested and I've been collecting parts to get it back running.
The biggest question I would have, is does the truck have a lien on the title?

If not, you should be able to go through the bonded title process in NC. It takes a few months, last I heard, but I dont know anyone whos done it in the last yr.

With the same question, not sure if VT/SD will register it, if it has liens on it in another state?
Don't believe so; the guys at Rimer Salvage where it was bought from said there wasn't anything suspicious when they ran the vin. It was impounded by Kannapolis city works some time in 2019, and around May of this year it was brought to Rimer.
I would definitely try the SC route; maybe there's a member across the state line who would be willing to help?

There

Yea I didn’t have a problem getting a title, clean and clear

Back