Virginia Tech is done...

bigwaylon said:
that's OK...we've settled that enough on the field recently that it doesn't bother me...:D :D

Greg

HA! Man you aren't joking! St put up a good show this year! We'll see how it goes next year:beer:

FSU? At least we Virginia Tech fans can look ourselves in the mirror, knowing we have a team that stands for something, FSU is a bunch of thugs. Beamer had a "no strikes and you're out" policy with letting Vick back on the team and I'm happy as hell he stuck to it. I hate that he's such a dumbass, but good riddance. From stories I heard in school and since, his brother wasn't much better, but he was smart enough to never get caught...

Hmm... Without Vick: ACC Champs... with Vick: not ACC Champs... I think we're better off.

:vt:

From how the article made it sound, he kept screwing up time and time again. I admire a coach that believes in academics and honor above the need for a "Awesome" (not so much) quarterback. And yes, i honestly can't say the same for Florida St.

I can still look at my self in the mirror in the morning knowing that FSU stole the first ACC championship from VT after the crappy season they had!!!

sorry.. had to put that in there.

Good luck next year though! i want to see an ACC team take back the championship!!!!!

hightime81 said:
"Awesome" (not so much) quarterback

I definitely don't argue with that...

Not to defend him, but to clarify... he screwed up twice in 2004, the alcohol/high school girls thing and then driving recklessly/possession... then there was a speeding ticket three weeks ago and the stomping thing... The guy is just plain stupid.

hightime81 said:
Good luck next year though! i want to see an ACC team take back the championship!!!!!
Five ACC teams in the top 25 at the end of the season, eight playing in bowl games? I don't think we have to worry about the ACC being on top more often than not. ;)

Quote:
"Steger suspended Vick from school at that time, and warned that any additional problems would effectively end his time as a member of the Hokies' football team."

This is something I have never understood.
Why not suspended from the team when suspended from school? Most universities have pretty strict policies that say that you cannot participate in school activities when under suspension.... yet it's like this dosn't always seem to apply to sports that bring in lots of dough to the school...

Flat and simple - if you are NOT a student (AKA suspended) then you should NOT be able to play ball. Props to VTU for giving the boot altogether.

Oh and lets face it, ACC teams get their shine in about 3 months on a much smaller court...
(smirks knowing Wake brings low expectations this year)

trailhugger said:
Beamer had a "no strikes and you're out" policy with letting Vick back on the team and I'm happy as hell he stuck to it.

I'm glad he did something...although it was more like 3 strikes and your out, even after the first suspension...

Greg

Vick's latest run in with the law was not even made public until after the bowl game. Kicking him off the team was just a PR move, they probably knew he would go pro anyway.

At least VPI fans can be thankful they are not UCONN(vict) fans. I would hate to have to defend the star point guard that stole laptops from the women's team and tried to pawn them. Classy. :lol:

GSW said:
Vick's latest run in with the law was not even made public until after the bowl game. Kicking him off the team was just a PR move, they probably knew he would go pro anyway.

No... as a matter of fact the speeding ticket was the main reason they kicked him off... he tried to keep it a secret. He'd admitted to getting a ticket for driving on a suspended license but left out the speeding part. Beamer was going to give him the choice of a two-game suspension or leave the school (for the stomping incident) and then someone contacted the President of the University about the fact that he was arrested... when Beamer found out he'd been lied to, there was no choice.

He's proven what kind of man he really is now... http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/college/3575625.html

trailhugger said:
No... as a matter of fact the speeding ticket was the main reason they kicked him off... he tried to keep it a secret. He'd admitted to getting a ticket for driving on a suspended license but left out the speeding part. Beamer was going to give him the choice of a two-game suspension or leave the school (for the stomping incident) and then someone contacted the President of the University about the fact that he was arrested... when Beamer found out he'd been lied to, there was no choice.

He's proven what kind of man he really is now... http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/college/3575625.html

I was referring to the curious timeline. With all the "handlers" or asst. coaches that universities have to employ to keep track of their athletes to ensure NCAA compliance (grades/contact with agents/money) it is hard to believe they would not have heard about their star player being arrested. Seems really convenient to leak the story on Jan. 6 after the bowl victory has been secured. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/06/AR2006010601017.html

Agreed that VT will be better off without him. But I'm still bitter about ACC expansion, so don't mind me. :beer:

Boarded said:
Va Tech will have nothing to worry about...theyve probably got a better quarterback in Brent Schaeffer coming in anyways....

Where did you hear that Schaeffer was going to :vt:? I know NCSU is on the list of potential schools, but I haven't heard anything concrete.

Are you thinking of Cory Holt, maybe?

gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit....

he is an asshole that got what he deserved.

^^Va Tech just offered yesterday and Schaeffer just said he was going on a official visit next weekend....pretty much everything is in place for him to go there......great chance of starting for a top 10 program....nothing is set in stone though...but id guess its a 85% chance he goes to Va Tech....

Back