Vote for which welder

skyhighZJ

Thanks for your taxes
So it is time to put a welder in my garage. I grew up welding and have taken some classes. It has been a while since I had access to my own welder and I'm tired of borrowing or paying a shop. Most I will be doing is work on my XJ (frame stiffeners, bumper fab, cage.... Etc.) I'm a big proponent of "if I'm spending the money, do it right the first time". This leads me to the question. A Lincoln 180 which I can buy at lowes for $669 and I get a 10% military discount on top of that price. Or a Hobart Handler 190 at TSC for $659 but no discount. Yes I will be running shielding gas and not flux core. Yes I have 220v capability. Let me know what you think from experience of both or either machines.

So it is time to put a welder in my garage. I grew up welding and have taken some classes. It has been a while since I had access to my own welder and I'm tired of borrowing or paying a shop. Most I will be doing is work on my XJ (frame stiffeners, bumper fab, cage.... Etc.) I'm a big proponent of "if I'm spending the money, do it right the first time". This leads me to the question. A Lincoln 180 which I can buy at lowes for $669 and I get a 10% military discount on top of that price. Or a Hobart Handler 190 at TSC for $659 but no discount. Yes I will be running shielding gas and not flux core. Yes I have 220v capability. Let me know what you think from experience of both or either machines.
Lincoln or Miller. Buy the best you can afford

Nothing wrong with the Hobart. I have the 187 and love it for the $$$. As a hobbiest it does everything I need it to do and then some.

Look around for discount and coupons for TSC. I think I found a 20% off and free shipping or something like that when I bought mine. Unless you have to have it right now, take your time and wait for the coupons to show up. I'd say there will likely be some decent deals around Memorial Day

@rockcity I have nothing against either and based on the $$ the Lincoln wins right now but I agree and have no issue waiting. Guess I have done the research of reading and comparing but I'm moving on to the most important research. First hand use and experience.

Either would be a fine machine. My Hobart is a 2002 model and still going strong.

@DSM Turbos I saw those in a couple of the review sites I read through and was really impressed but I think it's more than I would want to spend for what I would consider a hobby welder situation.

Esab caddy mig.

I weld regularly with a miller 185, 212, 252, and would not buy a new miller at all. Older ones are great. Miller makes the hobart. If you need preferential service to get your miller serviced ahead of lincoln, then buy blue. If you aren't welding for income, and can deal with a machine away from home if necessary to be fixed buy another brand.

I also regularly use a Lincoln 140 and 180 and prefer their weld quality.

I've made several posts about the esab caddy mig I will try to dig up.

Next would be an everlast or longevity as you can buy two for the price of a name brand machine.

Esab
Lincoln
Used miller/hobart

Everlast/longevity. Same mfr as northern tool, eastwood, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I welded with the new rebel and it was amazing. The smig is definitely the way to go. Saying that, I would still get the caddy mig over the rebel. If you want tig you can buy the caddy mig and an import ac/dc tig machine for the same money and have aluminum capability.

BTW, this is the best deal I've found for the caddy mig. Not too far off your budget now...
ESAB - CADDY MIG C200I - 0558101321 | WeldingMart.com

I also regularly use a Lincoln 140 and 180 and prefer their weld quality.

I have both of these machines and for what I do I've always been very pleased. Good to know someone with skills likes them too.

I welded with the new rebel and it was amazing. The smig is definitely the way to go. Saying that, I would still get the caddy mig over the rebel. If you want tig you can buy the caddy mig and an import ac/dc tig machine for the same money and have aluminum capability.

BTW, this is the best deal I've found for the caddy mig. Not too far off your budget now...
ESAB - CADDY MIG C200I - 0558101321 | WeldingMart.com

Thats my exact plan, at first I was thinking about the rebel, but I am not sure if I will tig anytime soon. I'll just get another tig later if I need to and have two machines.

I've got an Esab 161lts TIG/stick rig. Was right around $650 and I wouldn't trade it for the world. But I'm a TIG and stick kinda character.
If I ever got the itch to ever mig weld again, I'd buy the Esab caddy.

I've got a feeling caddy migs are going to get really cheap here soon. When esab comes out with the EM 215ic (rebel without the stick/tig capability) I believe the caddy mig will be discontinued. There too close in comparison to have on the same line up.

When they dropped the caddy mig 160 in favor of the 200, the 160's could be had for 400 bucks on close out. If the 200's do that I may end up with two!

I've got a feeling caddy migs are going to get really cheap here soon. When esab comes out with the EM 215ic (rebel without the stick/tig capability) I believe the caddy mig will be discontinued. There too close in comparison to have on the same line up.

When they dropped the caddy mig 160 in favor of the 200, the 160's could be had for 400 bucks on close out. If the 200's do that I may end up with two!

Post up if you see them go on sale!

Back