Wagoneer D44 Disc Conversion

YJJPWrangler

So I want to replace the drums on the rear D44. I found this bracket kit.

Wagoneer Dana 44 Rear Disc Brake Bracket Kit

I would need to source calipers/rotors. Has anyone done this cheaper/easier? Pros/Cons to this conversion? The existing drums are trashed as well as the front rotors/calipers. I still need to source a brake master cylinder.

Thanks,

Why don't you just buy another set of front rotors and calipers and make a weld on caliper bracket? If you don't want to do all the work, Ruffstuff has a D44 weld on caliper bracket kit for $50

Just cut the existing backing plate down so you still have the bearing retainer but rid it of the drums.

I have seen the weldon brackets. Apparently the most common rotor swaps are out of late 80's Chevy Truck front rotors with Eldorado calipers(E-Brake) or with monte carlo calipers(no E-Brake). I haven't seen anything that would allow the front wagoneer rotors/calipers to fit on the rear.

the GM calipers and rotors are advantageous if you wanted to use the Ruff Stuff caliper mounts. The GM replacement parts are likely easier to source both now and servicing later.

I guess caliper selection depends on what you want for a parking brake. With a sm420 in lieu of an auto, you'll want a good and reliable park brake

Figure that out and choose a path then

I have a different set up but it may be of help to you... if not oh well.

I have an f250 d44 front that I am running chevy K10 flat top knuckles, k10 small bearing spindles, k10 calipers and brackets on.
I wanted to keep the 5 on 5.5 to match my 9 inch rear so I used ford rotors and hubs. but you could stay with the chevy ones for a 6 lug pattern.

In the rear I have weld on caliper brackets that were pretty cheap, but work great.
I can use the same K10 calipers with ford rotors. Again, you would need the 6 lug chevy rotors.

I need to put a proportioning valve in so my rear end doesn't lock up so easily though.
It is nice having the same brakes on all 4 corners. Makes it easy at NAPA.

here is the bracket I have on mine...
Weld-On 1978-88 GM Metric Caliper Bracket

Edit: I do not have a functioning E Brake. I carry a block of wood.:smokin:

If your Dana 44 is six lug you could look into a silverado rotor and f body caliper; the f body caliper has an e-brake. Weld on caliper brakes are super easy to install, just bolt the caliper to it and pressurize the caliper with an air gun, or the brake pedal if it's connected.

Heres a setup with these from 67-72 chevy I found researching a disc swap on my 12 bolt.
6 Lug Rear Disc with 15" Wheels and an E-Brake - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

(I have no affiliation with the seller, he just describes the setup very well.)

Back