xjguy

Here are the requirements:
2004-up
Up to $17,000
Under 100,000 miles
3/4-1 ton pick-up
4 door
4wd
Auto trans (wife needs to be able to drive)
Would like diesel but price will probably dictate gas.
Needs to pull fullwidth xj and only gets daily driven maybe 2,000 miles a year (MPG not really an issue).

My first thought was a Chevrolet 2500 w/ the 6.0. I've driven one and was pretty happy with it. I can find them at decent prices. Most people seem pretty happy with these.

Next would be the Ford F-250 with the 5.4. Have never driven one, hows the towing compared to the 6.0? Are there any inherent problems with these trucks?

Finally the Dodge 2500 with the Hemi. I've driven a 1500 with the Hemi and was pretty unimpressed with it even pulling lighter loads. Didn't know if the 3/4 ton version was any different?

I could always stay with my original thought on the Chevy but just wanted some opinions on all three to try and keep my options open. Thanks.

we have an 03 4 door basic with utility body ford f-350 2wd. That thing is terrible, it can hardly get out of its own way (could be the gearing). I doubt it could pull anything. We keep a 30 gal diesel tank in it (full) and its really is a dog. Its has no real power and only about 50k miles and the trans is about to go.... Its really is a piece.

Exactly. I wish I had some more cash to throw around and go with something a little older. Although it will be nice to finally drive something kinda new

Haven't been able to find many V-10s wouldn't mind having that or an 8.1 if I could find one in something other than a dually.

Man your really gonna have to look for a rig under $17k and under 100k miles. Thats almost not possible, but there could be a deal out there. The only thing i have seen close to that is this.....

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/ctd/1967565053.html
and its got 138k miles....

hey my 2005 dodge has the 5.9 cummins motor 4 door long bed
has all the power options
6 SPEED Manual tranny
4 inch lift with 35 inch allterains
140 000 miles
but i need to get 19000
843 819 4509
i live in SC

My vote is 6.0-8.1 gasser..Nice cre cab low miles and should be able to keep some loot in your pocket. Dosnt sound like you will be towing enough for the need of a diesel.

My vote is 6.0-8.1 gasser..Nice cre cab low miles and should be able to keep some loot in your pocket. Dosnt sound like you will be towing enough for the need of a diesel.

x2. 8.1 gasser with a custom tune. Can be found in 2500HD with the Allison, Suburban 2500 (can camp in it), and Avalanche 2500, both of the latter with the 4L85E.

Got my very loaded '04 Avalanche 2500 with 65k miles for a little less than your price limit.

I haven't had a problem finding the Chevy 6.0 in my price range with less than 100,000. I guess I was just curious about the Ford and the Dodge 3/4 tons since I haven't had much/any experience with them. I'm glad I can at least rule out the Ford 5.4.

Just get an old 454 chevy and a honda for your wife to drive.

She's already got a much nicer vehicle than me. We just need to be able to swap if necessary.

Seems like a lot of money to spend on something for 2000 miles a year.

I've done this backward, I'm driving a 1990 POS Ranger and got a 2000 XJ that is all chopped up and can't drive on the street. I'm tired of driving old junk.:huggy:

have you looked on autotrader any? theres tons of 6.0 chevys on there newer then 04 for less than 17k. my buddy is sellin me his 05 with 60k mi, vinyl floor, man windows locks etc for $12,000 when im ready to buy it. 6.0 gets my vote. my dad has a f150 with the 5.4. he pulls a small horse trailer with it some. it does good with that but i wouldnt wanna tow much more then that with it. i never could understand why they put the same gas motor in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton in the fords and the dodges with a 360. my brother in law has a ford f250 with the v10 and it pulls real good. gets about 10mpg empty though, but itll tow whatever you put behind it.

i didnt kno they made 2500 avalanches?

I would much rather have a truck. I like being able to put anything in the back and not having to worry about getting my carpet dirty.

I'd opt for the 6.0 2500 Chevy! I was seriously considering a 1500HD (crew cab shortbed (6.5'), 6.0, auto, 8 lug (really a 2500 light duty but they badged it a 1500HD), it was the only crew cab 1500 for a while, then they came out with the true 1500 (6 lug) crew cab which had a 5.5' bed). It sounds like the 1500HD would be ideal for you but, may prove hard to find. I ended up getting a DMAX 2500HD extended cab. I love my truck BUT, I really wish I had the added room of a crew cab. The 6.0 is a very good motor and should be able to pull a Jeep and trailer with ease! I'd stay away from a 1500 if you plan to tow a good bit, because even though your load would (most likely) be within the rated capacity of the 1500, the 2500's bigger engine, beefier drivetrain, and larger brakes are gonna make it a more pleasant and safer tow vehicle.

Back