Warn 8274

justjeepin86

There is a 8274 on craigslist that i'm going to look at today and hopefully buy. I have a time set with him already. What's it realistically worth? I don't know crap about them and what it takes to rebuild and work on them. He said he knows nothing about it and took it on trade. He jumped the motor and it spools in on a video. That's all I know.

Edit: Pretty sure the free spool shaft is seized as well after speaking with him.

Warn winch Model 8274 8000 lb Capacity

Last edited:
That one looks like it's from the late-70s or early 80s, just guessing by the connections on the solenoid box. That means it'll have the older Prestolite 2.2hp or Bosch 2.5hp motors, rather than the 4.6hp motor that the current 8274-50 gets. Nothing wrong with that, I have two of them with the original motors. They're just not quite as fast as the newer ones.

They're really easy to work on. You might have to replace the bottom seal where the spool goes into the side of the gearbox, and it might be worth checking the condition of the brake. And make sure the wires all look to be in decent shape. If you can make your own wires, it's no big deal to change them, but if you have to buy them, it'll probably run $10/ea for the motor/solenoid wires (x3) and $25/ea for the motor/battery wires.

Since it's missing the remote and the solenoid pack is broken, I'd suggest buying the Warn contactor pack and new-style remote. The contactor will come with new battery and motor leads.

Warn 83664 contactor pack - $200
Warn 83665 winch remote - $65

$450 asking price isn't bad but be prepared for some work as Shawn stated. Even if you need to do a complete rebuild you'll end up with a great winch that belongs on a CJ

I have a Jeep Special equipment one on my Scrambler and have owned two others on past Jeeps. My favorite winch. nostalgic

I paid $400 for two winches in similar shape to that one.

Cool, thanks for the info. @shawn I could make out an 8 on the date code in the video. So I guess it would make it a 78 and probably not an 88.

How how do I check the condition of the brake with it not working correctly at the moment?

How how do I check the condition of the brake with it not working correctly at the moment?

As a buyer, I don't think there's a good way. I'm just saying that - before you use it - I'd take the brake apart and make sure the friction pads were all there and in decent shape. That's the most PITA part of working on one, but if you tear it down to replace the bottom seal, it shouldn't take long to check the brake while you're there.

As a buyer, I don't think there's a good way. I'm just saying that - before you use it - I'd take the brake apart and make sure the friction pads were all there and in decent shape. That's the most PITA part of working on one, but if you tear it down to replace the bottom seal, it shouldn't take long to check the brake while you're there.
Ok, that makes sense. I looked into replacing the brake anyway, jic. Thanks

I'm peanut butter and jealous, been wanting one to use on my k5. Never had one apart or messed with them much, but did a quick google search for parts like the contactor with remote. Had a few friends with them in Cali and he was telling me how stupid easy they are to rebuild the whole thing and restore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMG_3697.JPG
IMG_3696.JPG
I was just reading through this thread out of general curiosity and then today I stopped by a garage sale and found these two winches and gave $100 for both. Looks like I am in the same boat of rebuilding a 8274. Both of them go in and out but the 8274 is in rough shape.

I think it's just the greater Charlotte area. In Huntersville it's all baby clothes, baby bikes, and electric lawn equipment for baby lawns. The people with real stuff to sell don't have garage sales.
It was more of an estate sale I think. I guess the old man had passed and the wife and the kids were cleaning out all his "stuff". I have a Warn already so had the remote to test them. They were covered in barn dirt but I sprayed them quick at the car wash. I don't intend to keep them so what am I realistically looking at for a resale value. I understand the 8274 needs a going over and the cable is shot. The XD9000i has no cable or fairlead. Is it worth it to put a new remote and rope on both and do a rebuild/ lube on the 8274 and expect to get any sort of return? What's the fair market in y'alls opinion.

Back