Warn M8000 solenoid question

RKBJR

Which solenoids on an M8000 control the cable in function?

Just forget about it. Order a Superwinch contactor and replace the entire solenoid group with it. Costs about $100 from Summit.

But to answer your question, I believe all four solenoids have to be functioning properly. The solenoids that remain closed during a given operation are still providing a current path on their closed contacts. Need a meter to verify continuity.

8274 schematic.jpg

Help?

This is a 8274 schematic, but I believe they are the same.

Look at solenoids 2 and 3

Just forget about it. Order a Superwinch contactor and replace the entire solenoid group with it. Costs about $100 from Summit.

But to answer your question, I believe all four solenoids have to be functioning properly. The solenoids that remain closed during a given operation are still providing a current path on their closed contacts. Need a meter to verify continuity.

Part #?

I think Warn uses this contactor, as well, on the VR series. As does Smittybilt, and I imagine they are all made by the same Chinese people. :D

This the Warn 89564 contactor. seen em for $23.00 to $75.00!

aencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_shopping_1acd9dc70b095e4bfcc95acadada7f3b._.jpg

My 0.02...I have always prefered the solenoids cuz you can run to the parts store when you are out for a weekend and repair them!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this is the one I have:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spw-90-14452/overview/

The one that ol'Jeeps posted is for an ATV winch. The one that Warn puts on the 9.5 and the other "full size" winches is like $250. Although, Warn has previously stated that theirs are manufactured by Albright, so maybe that's worth something extra to you.

My contactor is currently 2yrs old. It's better sealed than a solenoid, and it's designed to fail in the open position, so no worries about contacts seizing and causing a run-on condition, as can happen with solenoids.

yep, sorry. looks like Warn only sella the comlete power pac...260.00!

Im sure super winch or or smittybuilt would work

Yeah, one of the Warn ones looked like a pretty good deal. It came with all of the power leads. If you've got to buy all three motor leads and the battery leads separately, it gets spendy. But then I realized you still needed to buy the "new style" winch controller, and that added another $50. So you were still talking about $300.

I guess it just depends on what you have to work with -- buy an old winch with corroded wires, bad solenoids, and a missing remote, it's probably a good way to go.

Also...the warn contactor uses three coils internally, one is a "power on" permissive and the other two do the power in/out functions. The Superwinch is only a two coil design, making it smaller but also lacking the extra layer of power control.

All contactors/solenoids can weld contacts under the right conditions. It is a myth that the newer "contactors" will always fail open. I worked on industrial electrical contactors for a living, I have seen "big stuff" weld up.

All that being said, I bought the same Superwinch contactor unit for my 8274 and was glad to finally pitch those stupid solenoids in the trash!

Back