Weighted Tag Cost

You get a 500 lb leeway. I could buy 18000 and be ok at 18500, but if I hit 18501 because I packed an extra can of Coke in my cooler, I get a ticket. When I weighed my rig it was actually 18490 at the cat scale. I'm already over the big jump at 17k by too much so I just went ahead and got the right amount.

I've seen an s10 pickup with first in flight tag loaded full in the bed with scrap hauling a full-size c1500 with a scetchy looking homemade tow dolly before and no officer bats an eye, but I've been messed with several times. A few years back I left ure on memorial day and got pulled in Carthage headed home to Fayetteville. I passed the troopers in a Tahoe as I was entering Carthage where the speed limit drops to 35. They pulled a u turn and lit me up on the other side of the court house. Once they saw my registration he said he pulled me to check my weight but he decided I was ok so he wasn't going to scale me.

Literally every time I've gone to the Flats I've had a trooper pull up in my blind spot between the truck and trailer and pace me for 2-3 miles on I 40 on the other side of Burlington. I assume they're running my tags and see the weight number and decide it's not worth their time, after 2-3 nervous miles they'll speed up and disappear. To me I'd rather just be legal than have to deal with a headache.

I can't get a farm tag since I don't have 10 acres, but with my luck I'd be pulled and theyd get me for not hauling farm equipment, no matter how shitty my old rockcrawler truck looks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yep was talking to a State Trooper that does commercial only. He said he will not stop people usually if they appear legal, for example if he runs your tag and you are weighted for 13k and pulling a trailer with a jeep he is probably not going to question your tag but if you are pulling a bobcat that weighs 8k he is probably pulling you. He also says they can look up the weights of things like bobcats on their computer as they run your tag using the web browser.

As far as the fines it is true you get 500lbs, so if you are at 13k and weigh 13,500 you are legal, if you weight 13,501 you can be ticketed and not only do you get it for the 1 lb but you loose the 500lb foregiveness so you get a ticket for 501lbs over not 1 lb over. He also said most will not hassle with a ticket unless it is going to be $50 or more as it is not worth the time otherwise.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if NC could write me a ticket for misuse of my SC farm tag? I tried searching for it but came up empty

Does anyone know if NC could write me a ticket for misuse of my SC farm tag? I tried searching for it but came up empty
I'm sure that they could. They can usually find a reason if you give them a reason to pull you over. I've never bought a weighted tag and never been sighted. Knock on wood!

There are ways around everything! ~$65/year for a 92 Freightliner tagged as an RV. Sometimes I wish I had a dually f350 instead of my Excursion, but I don't miss paying for weighted tags.

IMG_20170518_111646103_HDR.jpg

hmmmm...revamping the inside of old unit 10. I've removed the rear seat and going to deck it for storage underneath and room for a air mattress and bedding. Wonder if I could change the status of the old crew cab to rv since I could camp in it?

hmmmm...revamping the inside of old unit 10. I've removed the rear seat and going to deck it for storage underneath and room for a air mattress and bedding. Wonder if I could change the status of the old crew cab to rv since I could camp in it?

You are a resourceful one my friend. I like the way you think.

If it goes up this year I'm going to drop from 17k to 13k and just take my chances. 300 a year is ridiculous for the amount of times I pull heavy.

Duane

So how do you lower the weight when you renew? Mine is up for renewal, and 13k is sounding pretty good, considering I haven't grossed more than 12k at any point this year.

Tell them you want to register it for 13k when you go to the license plate office. The lady will probably look at you funny and go "Are you sure? It's not a good idea to go down in weight" or something like that.

Duane

Tell them you want to register it for 13k when you go to the license plate office. The lady will probably look at you funny and go "Are you sure? It's not a good idea to go down in weight" or something like that.

Duane
Do people still go in to the office to renew? It's almost worth the price difference to not have to go there...

You have to have 4 of 7 things to be considered an RV. I have an a/c unit, a camping stove, porta-potty, and a refrigerator. All depends how strict your DMV inspector is, but my current setup is actually pretty legitimate. I haven't been able to find any definite answers, but I think I am legal up to 80k lbs without CDL's. The most I will ever actually weigh would be around 60k I imagine (truck/trailer/dozer).

Do people still go in to the office to renew? It's almost worth the price difference to not have to go there...
If you want to change it you do.

Also can't do weighted tags online. Doesnt make sense why not.

Up until last year you had to renew weighted tags in person. So nice to do it online now.

I'm also pretty sure that different weight classes have license plates that start with certain letter combinations for each class.

I'm also pretty sure that different weight classes have license plates that start with certain letter combinations for each class.

We have changed ours from 9k to 13k to 23k to 13k, etc, all on the same plate. About ten years ago, they sent you a new plate every year, but they stopped doing that.

Wife just renewed mine online and the sticker showed up thurs. No changes though, just same weight as ladt year.

Up until last year you had to renew weighted tags in person. So nice to do it online now.

Very good to know. I work across the street from a tag office so its convenient, but need ft understood why you couldnt do it online, even change it.

I also didn't know you could do weighted tags online now. Good to know it's changed.

Duane

It would be real nice if you could change weight online. If you got pulled for being overweight, just pull out your phone and CC to fix on the spot so you can keep going.

Back