Weighted Tags... again

Granny

One day at a time...
This subject has been probably been kicked around at least a dozen times, but I'm going to be the clown who stirs the pot again....

I have a 13,000 weighted tag. On the way to URE last Friday, I stopped by the scale house at the local rock quarry. My weight was 13,380. Other than one extra cooler in the hot July-August months this is the maximum I will be hauling. The price of weighted tags takes a pretty good jump form 13k to 14k and I am trying to decide if I really want to pay that for less than 500 lbs over. My understanding is that a regular truck tag has a 500 lb grace. I am wondering if there is a grace allowance on a weighted tag. I would call the local tag office, but I'm not too sure that would be a good idea.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Preferably known facts vs I thinks.

ThanX

there is your answere...when he weighs you,just get out.That is what the quarry does when they load our dumptruck and they are close on the weights. I'm in the same boat as you sitting on 13,000 pound tags and since I pull with a work truck with a ut. bed,I stick out like a sore thumb.I wouldn't sweat it too much being that close.If you were over by a thousand pounds,I'd say you have a reason to worry.

I'm in the same general boat and I'm sure this won't help you any but if they want to write a ticket for less than 500lbs over, I'll tell them how I feel about it and they can get to writing:shaking:

there is your answere...when he weighs you,just get out.

Now that brings up another question. Is it legal for both of us to get out? If so, then I hate to admit it, but that would make us about legal.

I'm heading out for the weekend... won't be back on here until sometime Sunday.

Don I say don't worry about it. You an Darlene both hop out if you get pulled over and I think you'd be just fine. If you end up having to stay in the truck then just tell him the extra weight is from all the cash you have to keep in your billfold in order to fill your tank with diesel.

I would think both can get out.
Why? If you get pulled for speeding/improper equipment ect... The LEO isn't going to want you or anyone else milling around the vehicle.
I'd say you have a 60/40 chance of getting a ticket, especially considering the states financial standing. I don't know about the 500 pound grace area. That would be the only thing I would fall back on. You have to remember, these tags and roadside weight checks are only there to bring $ in for the state. The guy who is writing that ticket is depending on that state issued check.

You've got to be 500# over before you're illegal.

NC 20-88a: Determination of Weight

were can you tell how much your tag is rated for? i forgot how much mine was.
when i bought my tag the sales-man told me it was for the trailer weight.
think i had a 10k. my dodge weights alot.

You've got to be 500# over before you're illegal.
NC 20-88a: Determination of Weight
(a) Determination of Weight. For the purpose of licensing, the weight of self‑propelled property‑carrying vehicles shall be the empty weight and heaviest load to be transported, as declared by the owner or operator; provided, that any determination of weight shall be made only in units of 1,000 pounds or major fraction thereof, weights of over 500 pounds counted as 1,000 and weights of 500 pounds or less disregarded.

By the above definition, does "empty weight" mean minus the passengers as asked above?

ummmm going by all the times our dump trucks have been pulled.They all get out and I myself have gotten out.If he is taking the time to pull scales,getting on his cover alls to do his inspections,etc that they do,he is going to know if he has trouble or not.The guys and I just walk over to the side and let the man do his work.

Most owners manual & such I have read, states your Gross weight, as everything, passengers, luggage, coolers, ect. Times I've had my dump trucked weighed, By DVM, driver stayed in the truck. Somebody has to drive it on & off the scales. Don, I'd keep that NC 20-88a, in the truck,,& dont worry about it.
Going to be up to the officer anyway. Personally, I have never run a weight tag, on my 1/2 ton,,& lucky I never got stopped!!:Rockon:

were can you tell how much your tag is rated for? i forgot how much mine was.
when i bought my tag the sales-man told me it was for the trailer weight.
think i had a 10k. my dodge weights alot.

Check your registration - it's listed on it. I'd be surprised if your salesman registered your truck for the correct weight including your trailer and what's on the trailer. How does he know how much your towing? I bought a Ram 3500 4X4 dually from Carmax in Greensboro and they registered in for 7K. That barely covered the empty weight of the truck as listed in the owners manual. :shaking:

I have worked with several motor carrier troopers and asked several of them about this. Most of them are not going to pay you any attention as long as you have a weighted tag and are not commercial. Some of them will make sure you are close, but the fact is the fines are just not as high if you are not commercial. Besides, the 500 pound thing is absolutely true. So you have nothing to worry about.

I have worked with several motor carrier troopers and asked several of them about this. Most of them are not going to pay you any attention as long as you have a weighted tag and are not commercial. Some of them will make sure you are close, but the fact is the fines are just not as high if you are not commercial. Besides, the 500 pound thing is absolutely true. So you have nothing to worry about.

can anyone else back this up?

can anyone else back this up?

Heres what was posted above:

(a) Determination of Weight. For the purpose of licensing, the weight of self‑propelled property‑carrying vehicles shall be the empty weight and heaviest load to be transported, as declared by the owner or operator; provided, that any determination of weight shall be made only in units of 1,000 pounds or major fraction thereof, weights of over 500 pounds counted as 1,000 and weights of 500 pounds or less disregarded.

By the above definition, does "empty weight" mean minus the passengers as asked above?

To me that says since they only issue tags in 1k incriments, anything over 500lbs is to be counted as 1k, and anything less is to be disregarded. So if youre tagged at 15k (like I am) and have 15499 lbs youre fine, but if 15500 up you should be tagged for 16k.

Duane

Doesn't really matter, does it? What they're after is the empty weight of the truck PLUS the weight of all the cargo. Basically, how much does the truck weigh as it's fully loaded and riding down the road.

Not sure where the "passengers don't count" comment came from, as I've never seen a scale where the truck could drive itself onto the scale. Well... there was the old balance scale where you had to hop out of the truck and go move the balance weights back and forth to find out how much the truck weighed... but you don't see those around much anymore. :lol:

I am tryin to understand how they charge for tags. Can someone explain the math to me. My Excursion weighs 8800lbs and I guess my cherokee is around 3500 and then the trailer about 1500. So I am guessing I need around 15k tag. Also do you pay for the tag weight every year or just initially?

You'd pay every year if it were a pickup truck... but an Excursion is a multipurpose vehicle, not a property-hauling vehicle. So you don't need weighted tags.

Otherwise, for a truck hauling a trailer, you need enough tag on the truck to cover the truck, trailer, and all cargo. If the trailer is an RV, you need enough tag on the truck to cover the weight on the tires of the tow vehicle... so truck plus its cargo, plus the pin weight from the trailer, but not the total trailer weight.

I am tryin to understand how they charge for tags. Can someone explain the math to me. My Excursion weighs 8800lbs and I guess my cherokee is around 3500 and then the trailer about 1500. So I am guessing I need around 15k tag. Also do you pay for the tag weight every year or just initially?

The different charges used to be posted on the dmv website. A 15k tag will cost you 207.00 a year. But like Shawn said, an excursion doesn't need weighted tags so I wouldn't get them unless you just like giving away your money.

Duane

well the only thing i have to add is when i got the scales pulled on me i was around 5k over the limit mr dot wrote me a ticket for i think 2500 over and it was a 52 buck ticket i dont know how much he was bending the rules but if your that close i wouldnt worrie about it i think a lot of us me being one have 13k tags for the $$ and were all right there at the max but there is always that one man that is going to be to the by the book but i myself am gonna skate that line

I just got weighed a few weeks ago. I had a 14k tag and was at 16.5k. They do give you a 500 lb leeway. I was written a $68 ticket. I asked the officer how it worked- as I had never been pulled before. He said to me that it is with all the equipment and passengers in the vehicle. As money gets tighter in the state, I'd plan for them to be less and less tolerant.

ALSO, if for no other reason to be legal, it took him literally like an hour to write the stupid ticket. It was 2 pages! That of itself is well worth the extra... I am now at 18k on my tags. My freaking title says that my Ford SD is supposed to be a 5900# truck. It is about 7600# actual empty!!!

If I were you, I'd bump up an extra 1k on the tags, in case you eat a lot one day, or carry extra fuel, or.... It all counts, according to the trooper I spoke with.

Back