Weighted tags

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs and Trailers' started by Jeepster90, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Ratman

Ratman New Member

This whole weighted plate thing chaps my ass every time I see one of those monster RV's or H2's with car tags on it. They get the weight breaks for emissions, why are they not buying the plates? I had a DMV guy tell me that the RV's dont do the road damage that pickups do. :lol: Yeah, that 30 foot Bounder pusher has a lighter footprint than my 2500. :rolleyes: In the last 2 years I've put 10K miles on my hauler. I think the plates and taxes cost more than the fuel.

2. Jeepster90

Jeepster90 Joined the Band Banned

Its all about making money

3. Rich

Rich Asshole at large

Has nothing to do with emissions. SUV's and the like are not classified as "property-hauling vehicles", and are therefore exempt from weighted tags. It's a great loophole that was created (conspiracy theory on) no doubt because I'd bet 75+% of the politicians who make the laws own SUV's.(conspiracy theory off)

Besides, a H2 has a hard enough time hauling its own fat ass around, WTF can it tow other than a jet ski? :D

I do have issue with the 65 year old blind guy who walks with a cane and has a 3 second reaction time being able to just drive off the lot in a 40' diesel pusher weighing 30,000lbs towing a 8,000lb enclosed trailer, with nothing more than a class C. :mad:

4. tommy_boync

tommy_boync New Member

good point on the 65 year old man LMAO. I have a 03 dodge ram1500 and quiet frequently pulling a car trailer aleast once a week and about to be pulling a dicthwicth that weigh's over 3000 pounds should I get weighted tags????

5. Ratman

Ratman New Member

Well I hear ya on the old dudes in the rv's. :lol: I still think a H2 should have weighted tags on it. The RV people get around a lot of rules by virtue of having a toilet (odd way to define rv) and hydralic brakes. :rolleyes:

6. Rich

Rich Asshole at large

Tommyboy.. yeah, you really should.

7. RoundLights

RoundLights New Member

I'm in the same boat as tommyboy but with a twist

1/2 ton truck, tow every week. But I have Florida plates because I am in the military and have FL residency. So do I need to be concerned with nc regs, fl regs, or both?

8. lomodyj

lomodyj Well-Known Member

Fla-la-la regs. It's all about where it's licenced.

9. stewartgivens

stewartgivens RockEater

I always wondered:
    If I'm using my licensed and tagged truck to tow my licensed and tagged trailer that has my licensed and tagged Jeep on it, haven't I already paid enough freaking road tax without having a weighted tag? Wonder if that argument would stand up....

Stewart

10. Rockwagon

Rockwagon New Member

That's the way I feel. If I got to pay for the weighted tag for every thing combined than why the hell do I have to have a tag on the trailer!!!! :confused:

11. cj5nutz

cj5nutz New Member

At least the trailer tag is cheap in NC .. I am in Illinois right now and I was checkin on a tag for my new trailer, I bought a 29ft Gooseneck.. Tag here is 170 a year . You buy weight tags for the truck and the trailer, go figure... Mine will be tagged and insured in NC.

12. LARRY SMITH

LARRY SMITH Well-Known Member

TAGGED

In NC the truck carries the weight fee. The tag on the trailer is just a registration, and a small fee for the Gov, of course.

13. upnover

upnover Grumpy, decrepit Old Man Moderator

Yep, and it went from $10 to $19 this year