Welder advice: Name brand arc welder or import multi-process? Hobby, not professional use

What type of machine would be best?

• Name brand Arc machine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Import Multi-process

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Mid-level brand MiG

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

paulevans76

I have a fairly newb question that's probably been covered before. But, since it seem like nowadays there are tons of cheap import (mostly Chinese) single and multi-process machines in the $200-400 range, I felt like it's worth asking.

I currently have a 120v lincoln weldpak wirefeed machine that I can do most thin-ish material, but I'd like something that can handle 1/4-3/8" without doing multiple passes. I'm getting a 240v outlet run in the garage so I'm ready to get a larger machine. I'm looking seeing a lot of options in the $3-400 range which is a comfortable range right now, and whatever I get will probably see sporadic weekend use - a few decent projects a year - bumpers, skids, suspension bits and pieces.

On the one hand is the ol' standard lincoln 225 tombstone buzz box that would probably last a century.

On the other hand are the import 200-250+ amp multiprocess machines out there that have arc, wirefeed, TIG capability, where I would think they would probably be fine for the amount of use I'd put them through.

This one is practically branded a shitbox. This one called a Mophorn, seems like a lot of machine for the money.

I've watched some review videos of them and they seem to all work fine. At least initially. Having the ablility to use wirefeed on larger stuff rather than stick would be nice, esp getting up under the rig or in tight spots.

There are probably some mid range MIG machines that would fit in my price range, although most of them seem only to go to 180 amps. Maybe that's enough?

Thoughts?

Buy a name brand, a good quality welder can make an ok welder look good, but a cheap welder can make a great welder look awful.

Buy a name brand because if it needs repair, a reputable dealer can service it, and when you need wear items, they will be readily available, your Local Welding Supply (LWS) will have most parts for your quality welder on hand for the next two decades.....try that at HF with a vulcan in 6 months!

If I had to do it again, I would grab a hobart 210MVP from NortherTool, it is a low option version of the miller (no autoset), it is a transformer machine, so while it is heavy, it should take a beating, and you can burn it with 110 or 220 by changing the plug on the end of the cord.

Buy a used machine and when you outgrow it, you can probably sell it when the economy ticks up for what you paid for it.

MOST IMPORTANT PART....spend some $$$ on a good welding helmet!!

I won’t buy another miller or Hobart,

I’d buy Lincoln again but HF Vulcan looks identical to Lincoln.

Esab builds great machines these days, support can be an issue.

I just purchased some everlast products and would highly recommend them after hearing how well they are and now trying them first hand.

Good USA support for them, great warranty, excellent customer service, solid pricing.

Currently own Lincoln, miller, and everlast products.

Get a no 10 Hobart gold coated glass lens and fixed shade helmet from tractor supply.

Clearer and less distortion than 90% of the auto dark helmets on the market for 10% the cost.

Lincoln Viking auto dark helmets are very clear for the price. Color is excellent.

Pretty much the response I expected. Aside from the Vulcan machines I just haven't really heard much about the other import stuff and probably not worth the gamble. And I've always read that Hobart were a good deal for the money.

Definitely would like a helmet upgrade. My HF auto dark is fine in the garage, but is not that great when I'm up under stuff or working in shadows.

I'm going to take a look at some Everlast, Hobart and Vulcan stuff. Esab machines look pretty sweet, but too far out of my budget.

Do you know how to arc weld?
Are you good at it?
100 bucks on FaceBook or Craigslist and you're all set.
Do anything those will (except tig ) BUT, they do have rods for darn near everything these days.

Do you know how to arc weld?
Are you good at it?
100 bucks on FaceBook or Craigslist and you're all set.
Do anything those will (except tig ) BUT, they do have rods for darn near everything these days.

I have done some stick work in the past, and not afraid of getting better. That was my first budget idea, grab an old arc machine and use that for anything 3/16"+. But I figured if I can scrape together a few extra hundreds I'd see what my options were.

for most applications.....
MIG welding has made stick welding obsolete. Stick welding has it's strengths..(outdoor and large structural applications)
Most of the multi process machines are not very good tig machines. Think about how you're going to be using/storing the machine. Do you want it on a roll around cart? multiprocess will require different gas bottles and you're cart will get huge fast which will make it a pain for rolling outside of working in a small shop. I have a shitty old stick welder near the shop door, my mig welder on a decent sized cart, and tig over in the corner. Most tig machines will be used in a pretty clean area and not upside down welding brackets on a vehicle.

Ive been shop tinkering for good 10-15 years and i'd say....Get a 220mig and build a narrow cart with offroad wheels on it. Get a big bottle of shielding gas and the biggest roll of wire that will fit in the machine.

A 220v mig machine with solid wire and 75/25 will be the best bet for doing 90% of stuff.

To get a good multiprocess unit that has ac/dc tig is going to cost thousands not hundreds. Same for one that includes pulse.

A tombstone is good to have around just in case, if you get it for a deal.

The extra time and energy you invest in practicing making 7018 run and look like mig, you’ll likely say dang, I should have just bought a big mig.

I’m not saying it can’t or shouldn’t be done, mig is just easy to get started, and relatively easy to make a competent, strong, good looking weld.

The learning curve with mig is pretty flat compared to stick. Tig is the most difficult to initially learn, but often the easiest to make a strong quality weld.

Stick is moderately easy to make a strong weld bc the arc force is so strong, but far more difficult to make it look as nice as mig. Just takes way more time invested in practice, especially for out of position work.

I have a lincoln 135 I take camping and learned on. I have a Lincoln 180? 220 machine that is one of the last American made machines I was told when I took it in for repair a few years ago. I've owned this for at least 15 years maybe more. Shop offered to buy it.... I want one of the new lincoln smart migs or the esab unit. The bigest problem with my mig is the limited speed and heat selections.

Lots of great advice guys. I don't see myself doing much TIG work right now, so more of a nice to have if I need something done and a buddy who can run it, or if I want to just tinker and learn at some point. But that's a lot of other extra gear to buy and keep up with.

I'll probably keep looking for a good deal on a nice MIG machine, and if that doesn't happen, I'll prob go with the Vulcan or Titanium. A good friend of mine loves his Vulcan dual voltage MIG machine, been using it a lot the past year. Only real problem I have with those HF brands is they price seems to have crept up a little lately, the 20% off coupons don't work on them, plus I'd want to spring for the extended warranty, so another $100 probably.

Once my 220v stick welder bites the dust I plan to go all MIG. I like the reliability of stick but in my experience there is little forgiveness for gaps in the joint and bad rod manipulation.

I agree with above. Get a MIG machine and if you want TIG, get a separate machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just something to consider

Power i-MIG 200E - MIG Welders | Everlast Generators

$555.

Just two dials, 120/240, spool gun capable, infinitely adjustable controls.

Yes they have machines for less/more money and with less/more features.

Any strong feelings on invertor vs transformer?

That Everlast and the HF titanium MIG 170 both have similar specs, and about the same price after buying extended warranty for the HF. I definitely like the infinite adjustment feature and lighter weight (can use existing cart). The titanium has digital readout which is probably helpful for using the infinite control and keeping track of settings. But ultimately it looks like an economy invertor with more adjustability vs an older school transformer rig like the Hobart.

Any strong feelings on invertor vs transformer?

That Everlast and the HF titanium MIG 170 both have similar specs, and about the same price after buying extended warranty for the HF. I definitely like the infinite adjustment feature and lighter weight (can use existing cart). The titanium has digital readout which is probably helpful for using the infinite control and keeping track of settings. But ultimately it looks like an economy invertor with more adjustability vs an older school transformer rig like the Hobart.

I love welding with most older transformer as they keep a very consistent arc.

The newer transformer machines aren’t as high quality as older stuff.

My Lincoln and everlast inverter machines weld consistent and no issues.

I hate the way miller and Hobart mig machines start the arc.

At school, we have phased out nearly all of the transformer machines for inverter machines. (350A units)

We are also phasing out the miller dynasty’s 325-350A machines that are 6 yrs old and replacing with Lincoln’s.

Only transformer machines we are keeping are some big 450a units that have external wire feeders and can be linked together for running big stupid stick rods or ridiculous arc gouging.

For home/hobbyist use, I doubt you will ever see end of the service life for the inverter machines,

Maybe if they are the cheapest off amazon/eBay?

There are a lot of benefits to inverter machines.

I'm going to wait for Memorial Day sales and see if there are any other good deals to be had. I'm leaning toward the Everlast because of the 5 year warranty, but since it's already discounted now, I'm sure it will go back up to full price by then :lol:

So I hadn't updated the thread but ended up going with the Titanium 170 MIG from harbor freight and upgraded to the big ground clamp they sell. Ordered up a big spool of solid .35 from miller, and hit Airgas for a fresh cylinder.

I have used it in 120v and 240v modes, working on everything from sheet metal to 1/4" to exhaust pipe. The ability to dial in settings in detail is great. I have a lot of learning and experience ahead of me (and a lot of seam sealer) but this thing is miles beyond my old weldpack flux machine. So far so good, durability is yet to be seen.

I most absolutely definitely need to upgrade to a better helmet. The cheapo HF auto I've had for a few years isn't cutting it. I am usually welding in difficult positions with shitty lighting and I might as well just close my eyes and hope. So that is next on the list.

Back