Welding in Truss Questions?

NickMaul

Hey NC4X4,

This xmas I plan on doing some work on my axles, d30 and 8.25, and want to weld in a truss I bought from artec for the d30 and make one out of rect tube for the 8.25. When I weld these on should I drain the fluid out of them and pull the shafts and carrier or just burn it in with out cracking them open.

Any tips much appreciated!!!

Nick​

Last edited:
I would drain the fluid leave the fill plug out but leave the carrier and shafts in. Also don't weld in one spot to long don't wanna warp it

Any special precautions when welding to either pumpkin center sections? Do I preheat with torch or just max the voltage on the welder and let it rip?

Some preheat, but at the minimum I'd weld with an appropriately selected filler rod material (cant think of what @Spence and I used on his axles)

Space out your welds and remember that the welds shrink as the cool, so the more you weld in one area, the more shrinkage in that same area. This is what causes housing to warp while welding.

Preheating the axle tubes will also help with welding them. I'm guessing the tube material is much thicker than the truss material, this will help you penetrate the tubes better without undercutting the truss badly.

Welding to cast iron:

Preheat to 100-400 degrees, make your welds with nickel rod. Either nickel 99 or nickel 55. The key it to post heat surrounding area of cast around the weld immediately after welding and then wrap the truss/axle with weld blankets or using aluminum foil and fiberglass insulation followed by some type of heat resistant blanket to keep the fiberglass in place.

The problem with welding to cast is that the steel weld alloy cools and shrinks at a different rate than the cast material, and you want to slow the cooling process of both the weld and cast housing to TRY to keep the weld from cracking where it meets the cast.

[emoji115]what mig filller/gas combo if any could be used ?

When I did my nine inch I used billet bearing replacements and a tool steel rod as the mock up axle. As long as it would turn freely she was straight. Housing bolted up no gear. Plus the following techniques. But that's being really anal.

Here's only slightly anal.

Tack ends, tack center.Tack every 6 inches. Weld ends first 1 inch long max. Move to middle next. If you can rest your hand on it its cool enough. Weld end, weld other end, weld center. Now here's the real trick don't get caught welding in one line. It will pull like weld something like a square frame in sequence. "Welding in a circle" pulls all the same direction. SOOOOO after the initial welds. Back step the center then back step one end, back step the other end. Now back step the other side of center going the other way. Keep this up til they meet on the two sides of center. Now I know the artec uses notches and stuff just visualize the part as if it were one continuous weld while breaking it up and tack at every endpoint before starting.
I get so tickled when people put huge tacks in the center of a weld bead when the ends would have sufficed. This keeps you from having a dead cold spot and crappy joint profile right in the middle of a short weld.

I like to weld these housing with nickel, tig or stick. They have a higher iron, carbon content than 14 bolts. If you preheat to rid moisture, stitch them and peen each you'll be good. If you try to wire them they need to also be done last and preheated very hot and air cool slowly. Even then its a crap shoot as to the percent carbon and if it will take ER70 fillers or not.

Stresses will be introduced into the unit just due to the weld pool solidifying. Poor highly built up cold welds are actually worse since the base metal and filler joint freeze a greatly different rates. Think shrinkage, if one side move faster than the other it naturally pulls. Warpage is also caused and measured by something called "the rate or coefficient of expansion" this is metallurgy on the molecular level. What you need to know is holding the base material at a very high heat allows this to move more freely. So weld, move, cool. Back step the welds. Meaning after the center weld is in back up and weld to it. The previous weld acts like a blocking device or clamp and prevent movement. Progressing from the other side "meaning just continuing a running bead" you have no "block" so the part is able to move.

Last edited:
I tried last night to find some through google, my intro web kong fu wasn't strong enough. All my books are in my shop. I'd be interested in those filler and shield gas specs too!

ESAB Corecast 8600, is a specially engineered wire for welding cast. It is a cored wire, that uses a 98/2 (argon/oxygen, yes, oxygen) mix. And since it's also $600 for a 15lb spool, unless you're using the hell out of it, not worth it. And when I called ESAB to get some ballpark parameters to start with(kind of expensive to trial and error with), they had no parameters. The engineer told me, "it runs like water, must be run in spray", thanks buddy, appreciate ya.

Crown alloys makes small spools of a cast mig wire, I have the info on it at work in my box. It's substantially cheaper, as in affordable enough for a serious hobbyist to buy. Cast is its own animal, simplest way to describe it: take a hot glue gun, glue a piece of plastic to a piece of styrofoam, let it cool, then break it apart. That's exactly how cast material breaks(visually). "My weld didn't fail!", no sir it didn't, poor handling of the base material is what failed. That line in the casting that breaks, cooled off too fast, which in turn separates, once stressed, it will fail. Sometimes not right away, but it will. I could go on all day long about the metallurgy of cast iron, cast steel, steel, joining the two, alloys to use, alloys to avoid, etc, etc, but that information doesn't come free!

Cliffs: cast takes patience, care, time, prep and consistent heat.

But if it's an Artec truss on a 30, you really don't need any alloy wire. Set the truss up on the housing, prep where necessary, tack the main truss in all the corners, then all the support plates. Start at the ends, weld 1-2" sections at a time. The way the artec truss is, weld the top parts of the truss first to preload it, then the tubes. Artec doesn't say that, I do, it's understanding weld shrinkage and how to use it timeout advantage. I've done probably 30 of them, they've all been done as a bare housing, no restraints, no preheat, no cast cracks, no alloy wire, all straight, done with a conventional s-6 mig wire and a 75-25 mix. I use settings adequate for welding 3/16" material(truss and tubes are 1/4" and truss supports are 10ga), basically enough to penetrate both materials without overheating the thinner 10ga and still put enough heat into the 1/4" truss and tube. No more, no less, a weld is only as strong as the thinnest material when welding dissimilar thickness materials. No need to run super hot passes, because guess what, the hotter then weld, the more shrinkage, which is turn warps things. Now if it were a larger axle, with thicker casting and thicker plate, things change, drastically, but a 30 casting, where the truss welds on, is really only about 1/4" thick. The 8.25, leave the shafts and carrier in it, make sure the diff can breathe(the heat built up inside will pressurize seals), prep and tack truss on, and slightly preheat the casting, 250* is plenty, mostly where you're welding and also a few inches out past that, cast soaks up heat like a sponge. Basically warm enough to take the chill out of it and slow it's cool rate. Weld it and wrap it to slow the cool rate when you're done.

Prep is 90% of the importance, yup, I hear it everyday, "turn the heat up, you don't need to prep shit". If only those people knew how fawking ignorant that makes them sound. Take your time, it doesn't take 4 days, it takes about 4 hours, if you have any other concerns feel free to PM me.

Back