What airbags??

skyhighZJ

Thanks for your taxes
Looking to add a set of airbags on my 2010 3500 Ram dually. Who has what brand and would you recommend them? Looking at doing a full compressor and everything.

I got the Firestones pretty cheap from adventurerv.net

Didn't do the on-board compressor or in-cab controls or anything. Just put two schrader valves in the rear bumper and put about 15-20psi in them before I load up.

I got firestone as well but off Amazon ran them to where my licence plate bolts went

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The one thing I don't like about the cheap in-cab controller, btw... is that it controls both bags from the same valve, and there isn't a way to check valve them to keep them separate. That means you lose out on any sway bar-like effects when cornering. The bag on the outside of the turn will deflate, sending its air to the bag on the inside of the turn. I don't know how much of a problem that is in real life, but it bugs me from a design standpoint.

And $225 for the controller with two valves is more than I can imagine spending on something like that. I just pull the air hose from the on-board in the bed back to the bumper. Psssh, psssh, done.

@shawn I can see your point on the single valve and not sure how much effect it will have on the load control but the point is well founded. I don't have an air source on board (yet) and was the reason I was gonna do the self contained system. If I may just run the air system in my tool box then run a stand alone bag kit and do it like you do. Seems easier not having to run the gauge and all and will probably end up with a better air pump to boot.

If you're going to get an OBA system, get the biggest compressor you can stomach paying for. I got the one that came with the Pacbrake, and I wish it were bigger. I'm pretty sure it's just a rebadged Viair unit. It'll fill the airbags, bike tires, etc, but can't top up the truck or trailer tires. I dunno how big the one is that Firestone includes in their kit.

I dunno how big the one is that Firestone includes in their kit.

@shawn by the looks of the picture it may fill up the bags and maybe beach balls. Either way a bigger pump is gonna happen so I can do more/ have more options. I'm thinking the big ARB pump.

Fwiw, on the Big Rigs, the air bags have a leveling valve, controlled by an adjustable lever. Same even for the air ride cabs. Add weight, the valve opens to maintain level. Decrease weight, valve exhaust air to set level. Never looked at how air ride Buses are set up, probably each bag has it's own controller. Maybe the same principal could be used for sway control.

I just added the Firestone Ride-Rite bags to my Titan, and tee'd both to one valve. Cannot speak highly enough about them. One of the best mods I have ever done. I just towed roughly 8300# from Auburn, AL to Lynchburg, VA with it last weekend, and it was awesome. You could add the in-cab stuff, but I don't know if it's be worth it. I set mine and forgot it.

I just towed roughly 8300#

What is that... an empty trailer? :flipoff2:

But yeah, air bags and exhaust brakes make all the difference in the world.

I agree :flipoff2:
10294.jpeg

Well looks like the Firestone Ride Rite bags it is. Now gotta build my pump and reserve tank setup (without going JF!) and I'll be set. As always, thanks for the good info!!

They do sell a dual switch? with two gauge needles on one face. You bring in a line from the tank to the switch then run 2 lines out,one to each bag. You can add and release the air from inside an see the pressure in each bag. Just plum the release out of the truck or let it out inside.

Back