What All-Terrains Should I get

Which Tires

• Total voters

NCJeepin

I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee running 33x12.50x15's. I have been running Dunlop Mud Rovers, but with my new job i have been putting some miles on my jeep... The rovers are bald, and need replacing... I think i have narrowed it down to a few, but need your help in deciding..... I need something that is not too aggresive, great in sand (lots of beach driving) and will pull its weight in mud, as I do hit the back roads sometimes, and some of the sign locations I go to are in muddy fields..... If what i need is not listed in the poll please advise.

AT'S aren't typically worth crap in mud.. IMO not much better than a Michelin LT type tire. BFG's seem to be popular, get good mileage.

This past weekend i saw the dick cepek fcII do much better than i expected in some fairly muddy conditions. Really seemed to clean out well for an all terrain.

Ive got BFG's right now, and theyve done pretty good in the dry, never really done much in the wet. Might also wanna try Procomps.

trxus m/t

The bfg's won't help you in the mud but will work great in the sand. Since you want something to work in both terrains and work well on the street, I would go with the Dick Cepek FC II's. That is what I am going with for my next set. If you rarely see mud, you might want to check out the Nittos or Toyos (what I am running now and they are great).

I have had both the BFG A/T's (ran them for over a year) and the Yoko's (still on the '99)...

the wear on both is very good...the Yoko's still look new after 25K...

the voids are much bigger in the Yoko's, which should lead to better traction in mud...and personally, I think they have a more aggressive look...

here's an old side-by-side shot:

IMG_2444.jpg

Greg

Thanks for all the replies.

Greg, that side by side compairison is great... The yokos look pretty cool, a lot better then i thought they did... Decisions decisions..................

I'll put in another vote for the TrxUs MT. I know you said AT, but if you do any kind of mud at all, then just don't get an AT. None of the AT's are very good in the mud. I've had BFG AT's and they're good on the road, alright on rocks, but terrible in mud. The TrxUs MT's are much better off road and not that much worse on the road. They're alot better on wet pavement that other MT's due to the siping. Plus, they're about $20 per tire cheaper than the BFG AT's. Go with the TrxUs.

i have the same issue execpt mine is on my dd and i don't do that much mudding but occasionally my primary 4x4 is broke and i just get the "urge" to go wheeling sooo.
i have the BFG's now and am NOT pleased with the milleage for the price. probly going to get about 45000 out of them. not to good for the price i paid.

nitto has some nice looking allterrains. don't know about mud though.
you can get MTR's as well. good tire if you keep them rotated. should last atleast 50000 miles if kept good.
even SSR's are an awsome street tire and killer street tire in the mud.
im sure there are a couple more im forgetting but they are all about the same price soo its up to you.

Me personally, i am going to get some 285/75 16 MTR's on my 98 4runner DD.
and i drive alot
hope that helps
tyler

I can't believe someone is complaining that they're "only" going to get about 45k out of all-terrain tires! You ain't driving a Honda Civic! 45k out of any truck/suv tire is pretty decent.

I had bfg mud terrains and got 56k out of them but they were terrible in the sand. unless you ran the pressures excessively low. they worked good in the mud.

the bfg all terrains I had were about the same mileage
worked great in the sand but in the mud you might as well forget about it.

I tried a set of cooper a/t's and couldn't have been happier with them on road and off.

they work well in the mud, sand, and in every other situation I've had them in. As far as mileage goes I got about 50k out of them as well. so you may want to compare them and see. my 33x12.50x15's were actually 33.75" tall. I measured from the ground to the crown of the tire and they were a lot taller than my bfg's on both accounts.

they have been some really good road tires no noise until they were almost worn out.

they were called a cooper discoverer
my friend runs the yokohoma's and he doesn't like them but his is more of a mall cruiser than anything.

hope this helps

BFG M/Ts are the ticket...they STILL wear like iron (like the BFG A/T) and you won't get stuck in a muddy field...

I have owned both (on a GMC Jimmy) and can tell you from exp, even with 4wd, the red clay of NC made the Jimmy nearly useless with the A/Ts. M/Ts made ALL the difference in the world.

Sam Hinton

I will add a vote for the BFG's... as for mileage I have got 60K out of the last 2 sets (1MT 1 AT) on FS GMs.

Really depends on what "mud" your going through. A fender deep bog neither is designed or worth a crap for. Slick muddy "roads"with the occaisonal hole I have had good success with my ATs and MTs are slightly albeit noticeably better but louder. For a daily driven rig I would go with the ATs, I just personally would get tired of the BFG MTs "hum" on a daily driver, on my toy the boggers don't even bother me.

As to mileage the rule for BFGs is rotate,rotate,rotate... if there is brakee dust on the lug nuts rotate.... If you rotate every oil change and keep your pressures constant you will be please with the wear.

Back