What is a chain hoist worth? (pic heavy)

rodnocker

Ever buy something to get something else?

I've been looking for an I-beam for a while to make a gantry crane in my garage. I came across a chain hoist that had an i-beam with it so I figured, why not. Both of them turned out to be bigger than I had planned on getting, but everyone likes upgrades.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep the hoist or sell it so I'm curious what it might be worth. It is a Harrington Peerless 3 ton chain hoist with 10' drop chain and 20' of lift... meh, I'll let the pictures speak...

Front of the hoist where the hand chain hangs from
front.jpg

Then the back where the gears are at.
back.jpg

This is with the back cover taken off.
back off.jpg

And a picture of the gears.
gears.JPG

The top hanging hook...
hang hook.JPG

The lifting hook (sorry, it's a little fuzzy)
lift hook.JPG

The head of the beast
head.JPG

and the length of the chains. Seems it has a drop of 10' (from bottom of the hoist to the bend of the hand chain) and about 20' of lift (length of the lifting chain).
reach.jpg

The width of the back (gear box) is about 16"
width.jpg

and it is by no means a light weight hoist.
weight.jpg

So now I'm trying to figure out if it is something I should sell, or keep and use. My main concern is that I don't have that much headroom in my garage. I would have to figure out a way to build the gantry crane above the rafters since the rafters in my garage are at about 9'. I really don't want to be clunking my head into this thing.

I've been trying to date it but I can't find that much on the hoist. There is no data plate that I have been able to find and just a few random numbers that I've not been able to match to anything as of yet.

I love old tools and equipment...

bottom line is, hoists are cheap now. I picked up a decent enough chicom manual hoist for $75 from harbor freight. For my gantry crane, I bought a used, but brand-new never installed Coffing electric hoist for $250. So many plants closing and downsizing stuff like that is super-cheap. My electric is like in this link, pic shows 1ton, but it is 2 tons rated...$6,789 at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Elec-Chain-Hoist-16fpm-230V/dp/B00C70JO5I

Not sure what its worth, but I'd be willing to trade you a 1 ton chain hoist for it. I need something bigger (need is relative, haha). I believe its a Cyclone model, but I don't remember brand. Its older, but works like a champ.

I'm still doing some research on the item. The lifting chain and the hooks are both rated for 6 tons. I'm wondering if the 3 on the front of the hoist might be something other than the tonnage of the hoist. It just seems the whole thing is way overkill if it is only a 3 ton hoist.

Not sure what its worth, but I'd be willing to trade you a 1 ton chain hoist for it. I need something bigger (need is relative, haha). I believe its a Cyclone model, but I don't remember brand. Its older, but works like a champ.

Cyclone is made by Columbus McKinnon and is considered the most durable manual hoist in the world. That hoist should last 30 years or more if you take care of it- ie oil the chain, inspect for kinks, etc.

I'm still doing some research on the item. The lifting chain and the hooks are both rated for 6 tons. I'm wondering if the 3 on the front of the hoist might be something other than the tonnage of the hoist. It just seems the whole thing is way overkill if it is only a 3 ton hoist.

The 3 is for 3 ton and that thing is a monster for a 3 ton. I wouldn't trust the chain on a hoist I didn't know the history on. If that thing has been around heat, the chain needs to be replaced.

Columbus MCKinnon
Coffing
Yale
Little Mule

All phenomenal choices...... :D

My opinion is completely unbiased, despite being a National Account Manager in the hoist industry.

Anything for overhead lifting, the WLL is 1/2 of the test strength. Yeah, hooks and stuff are rated 6 tons. It can probably lift 6 tons, but I wouldnt walk underneath it. Put 3T on it and I would walk underneath the load.

Back