What kind of locker?

Keith1138

Lockers are like tires every one has what they prefer. I'm looking for yalls thoughts on the lockers below. They will be used a dana 30hp that is trussed and c gusseted with chromos. I just busted my spartan locker. I did not like how it was extremely hard to turn when I was facing down hill and how loud it was on the road. I do enjoy driving my jeep to work occasionally.

-Eaton e-locker (my preferred choice but out of stock at East Coast)

-ARB (heard they can be finicky sometimes/cult following)

-yukon zip locker (no experience)

-yukon Grizzly/detriot (use to be popular)

-OX Locker (no experience with)

-Any others?

If you want to stick with an auto I would go Detroit.

For selectable either OX or elocker. Que the ARB apologists :flipoff2:

I've been out of the jeep game for a while, but can you twin stick your tcase? That's how I get around the difficult turning with an auto locker in my pile.

Not an ARB apologist but my ARB's have been solid. Any issues with them have been air line breaks from rubbing and that was fixed when I changed to the new 6mm air lines (black).

I have run ARB, Lock Right, and E-Locker. One of the ARB's had a inner seal leak and I had to replace, but other than that loved them. Lock Right did it's job but would make a loud pop/click when descending steep hills off road, currently running he factory E-lockers. Only complaints has to do with factory limits.

Grizzly/detroit/spartan/lock rite/etc are all going to perform the same on road and off. If you think the auto lockers are hard to turn, anything switchable like an ARB, Ox, Eaton, are going to be worse when engaged. The ones with dog gears have at least a little bit of slop in them, where sometimes the disengagement springs in the selectables won't be able to overcome the friction from binding and will stay engaged even after you flip the switch. We had to add a PS cooler to one of the Jeeps to keep the pump from overheating at places like URE, but the Spartan has been fine other than that. It clicks when you turn in 2wd, but not a big deal.

I'm an OX locker fan. Best engagement design of them all if you ask me. No matter what they can't leave you stranded, unlike ARB or all the other options.

The E-locker would be a close second, but they break sooo I'm not a fan.
Air shifted OX FTW. Aside from the air line being so prone to damage where it enters the cover.

I have an ARB in the exact setup you have. A selectable locker in front is a game changer. I only have to flip the switch when I need it, and it's never let me down.

I had an issue with my rear locker air hose breaking twice. The issue was that I routed the hose wrong and it was snapping when my axle flexed. 100% my fault. Since then, no issues. I'd get the ARB and not look back.

Not an ARB apologist but my ARB's have been solid. Any issues with them have been air line breaks from rubbing and that was fixed when I changed to the new 6mm air lines (black).
Good to hear ARB is also recommended here. My friend is looking at them but worried about the air line issue. I will tip him about the better air line replacement. We'll work on it after we finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the Silverado and clear the garage.

Good to hear ARB is also recommended here. My friend is looking at them but worried about the air line issue. I will tip him about the better air line replacement. We'll work on it after we finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the Silverado and clear the garage.
All the new ARB's come with the black 6mm line. The old ones came with the blue 5mm line. My original rear ARB came with 5mm line and my front came with 6mm. I did buy them at different times in my build which is why they were different.

I've had my ARB in the TJ rear axle for many years with the blue 5mm airline with zero problems. I ran the airline in wireloom from the compressor to the axle to keep it from rubbing a hole in it.

I've had my ARB in the TJ rear axle for many years with the blue 5mm airline with zero problems. I ran the airline in wireloom from the compressor to the axle to keep it from rubbing a hole in it.
Didn't say the 5mm line is bad, the 6mm line is just better. I have put holes in both, just have had to repair more 5mm line than 6mm line. I will say most of my issues have been self inflicted and I'm not so sure that wireloom would have helped.

ya that worked for me until it didnt and i went from having a broken locker (which i had parts to fix) to a broken carrier on friday night in harlan, and rode all weekend shot gun talking shit to everyone

your ring caught a case of meth mouth

If you're wanting to get the most out of that 30, I'd run a ARB, with chromo's and super joints, and lock out hubs. That way you get the most you can get, on, and off road. ARB, easier on and off road, lock outs to keep the super joints alive, and chromo's to keep breakage to the very minimum. Oh, and if you've not get experience in installing the ARB's, don't be afraid to take it to someone who has experience, even if it's a drive to get it to them.

If you're wanting to get the most out of that 30, I'd run a ARB, with chromo's and super joints, and lock out hubs. That way you get the most you can get, on, and off road. ARB, easier on and off road, lock outs to keep the super joints alive, and chromo's to keep breakage to the very minimum. Oh, and if you've not get experience in installing the ARB's, don't be afraid to take it to someone who has experience, even if it's a drive to get it to them.
This parts list alone cost more than most peoples entire XJ rig :laughing:

Back