What started out...... Bent bumper...

rbo1577186

My wheelin buddy/coworker is feelin froggy and wants to wheelin after work this mornin... Hell with it, I'm in!! Start out a beatiful morning, get breakfast with the fellows and head out. We take a FNG along in a POSD with some bald 33" thornbirds (I wouldn't give 3 cents for a new set of those tires). He goes barreling into the mud hole and gets stuck... 2 times... We get him out no prob... We go further into our little local trail and I cross a creek. 4 LO, barely spun, made it effortlessly.... He gets stuck again..... Keeps nailing the gas and buries himself... (33's covered except for the top 4 inches of the tire!) Break a tow strap twice....... Broke a 5/16" link chain twice....
Then we finally get home and his alternator belt broke..... What should have been over at 10:30 latest this morning lasts till 2:00!!!! I'm soaked in mud from shoveling out mud.. It was over the top of the front differential housing.... My buddy abused the hell out of his pickup jerking him out (25 times or more). I bent my freaggin bumper..... We tied the strap to the box end trailer hitch.... I didn't want to jerk him but wound up trying it anyway.... The bolts flexed the metal piece the bumper is attached to... now my bumper is bowed upwards.....

Things learned

I don't ever want to use the jerk method again to pull someone out..... Don't like the idea of what's going on in my transmission....

I'll never go wheelin with someone in bad equiptment / poor judgement again... (I knew he should have never tried the creek crossing)

I really took it easy on the gas and went almost everywhere I wanted to go with ease ( easy really does it most of the time )....

Without ease... Muddy red clay hill climbs are no joke.... Had a hard time going up it...

I need some freaking tow hooks......

Fixing my bumper.... I'm going to try to use a long prybar inserted into the sqare hitch and push down to try to bend it back down.. Not bent much but noticeable....Nothing structural seems bent, the metal brace the bumper mounts to is thin... not even 1/8" thick! Anyone got any suggestions on the bent bumper...

rbo1577186 said:
I don't ever want to use the jerk method again to pull someone out..... Don't like the idea of what's going on in my transmission....

Not to mention, something heavy/metal breaking and sling-shot back thru your glass to take your head off

where was this at?

CasterTroy said:
Not to mention, something heavy/metal breaking and sling-shot back thru your glass to take your head off
where was this at?

This is why I wont use a chain to pull or be pulled.

cahns can be dangerous yes, but i got a photo (not on the computer) of a tow strap goin through the plasticish whatever back winshield of a jeep and out through the front winshield. everyone was OK so we laughed at him.

Back