Whats the differance? CJ5 CJ7

Speed Freak said:
I know the 5 is shorter and smaller but how much(inches?)? What are the other differances.
Thanks
Guy
I think it's around 10 inches. Plus the shape of the door openings is different. Otherwise they are virtually the same.

Also...

The older CJ5 had shorter hood/fenders & used an I4 or 225V6 "Duantless" (Buick engine)... later models ('72?) forward was lengthened to accomodate the & V8... not sure if the CJ7 shared this trait.

Early CJ5 came with various combos of D25/27 front and D30/D44 (splined= 2pc.axles) rears... while later models came with D30 front & D44/M20 rears... AFAIK, the CJ7 came only with D30F & M20R...except for the '86 which had widetrac D44... Axle width changed from "narrowtrac" to "widetrac" around the '81-'82 model years.

Either way, leave the family at home because the backseat will only accomodate tiny children & gnomes! :D

the 7's only ran from 1976 to 1986. Never had a short hood like the 5's did previous to 72. The cj5 from 72 on i believe is 83 inch wheelbase.

the older 5's and 7's had weaker frames. alot of them crack buy the stearing box. I personaly can not drive a cj5 because my knees hit the dash and I am only 6' tall. if it is has has 2 piece axles then you should convert to one piece. just my .02.

OK The reason I asked... I am looking into a(? 1965 I think) CJ5 that has been converted to a V8 4sp with CJ7 (? year) axles. The distributer sticks through the firewall into the passenger compartment. I want a project jeep that I can cut up and put full width axles under. What do you think?
Thanks
Guy
500.00 for the jeep.

$500 sounds like a good deal for that Jeep, unless it is just rusted apart. To me, that's the biggest problem with the CJs - rust. You can solve any other problem, engine, axles, trans, whatever, much easier than a completely rusted out body and/or frame.

If it has rust, just look at where it is. If you're going to make this thing into a buggy, then maybe it's not a big deal since you're going to cut it up anyway. But if you still want it to look like a Jeep, pay attention to what is rusted away.

1954 to 1972 had a 81" wheelbase, an 1973 up had 84". the cj7 had 93.5"
wheelbase. the overall length of the cj5 was139" while the cj7 was 148"
from 1975 to 81. After that the cj7 went to153". I would not do a serious
build on a c- channel frame thats on the older cj's, they are weak just
like most if not all chevy 4x4 frames, these frames are notorious for cracks
an breaks. Even to this day thats why i do not consider chevy trucks to
be a serious 4x4 because they lack advancement in there chasis program.
As far as the height of the hood being raised, it had nothing to do with
v-8's, the hood was raised 20years before they ever put a v-8 in a jeep.
It was done because the f-head 4cyl. had a head installed for the intake
valves, the exhaust valves still remained in the block. The reason they
extended the cj5 buy 3" in the wheelbase is because the 232 an 258
length when they were introduced.

mbalbritton said:
chances are it's a SBC swap with the dist. in the back...

Well, Its certainly not an AMC (or Ford) motor, unless its a mid mount....
If so definitely buy it! I just want pics of how much fab work went in that!! :flipoff2:

The only Quality I can add to this thread, 7s have Square "U" Shaped doors, while 5s have the "S" doors. IMHO this makes the 5s a B!tch to get in/out and plus there is the knee in the dash factor previously mentioned, Though many have had the seats replaced relocated ovr the years...

Eithr way a $500 jeep thats rust free and has a running V8 would be a steal.... Though I would be worried about the Hackjob that left the dist. thru the firewall

They most likely did not put the engine in the right place, but I have seen this before. You should be able to have a chevy engine in it without having to cut the fire wall. Maybe it was adapted to the stock tranny and they did not want to relocate everything.

Of Cousre you can get a FSJ(J10,Cherokee Chief, Grand Wagoneer) real cheap and their frames are a lot stronger. Though they still have the rust issues. but they very capable offroad and parts are cheap. and you do not have to swap axles usless you go nuts with the tire size.

Sorry but I am a little Bias

Carl

Back