What's up studs?

Eccentricity would be my first concern there. Hard to get the whole thing centered.

The d300 spacers I’ve seen don’t have a centering lip on them. Most quality driveshaft spacers I see have a centering lip but QC can be questionable on those and how well it really centers the driveshaft. Although I do see a lot of spacers that don’t have centering lips on them.

Either way, assuming the driveshaft spacer is centered with or without the lip, I’m not running it and I’m pretty sure most people use the spacer either as a budget fix or as a temporary fix until a new shaft can be had.

Let me clarify, I’d run it but I wouldn’t have the same confidence as I would otherwise.

Thanks for all the replies gents

I'm confident my BIL was given some crap studs.
I'll know in 2 weeks when he puts his purse down and finally tries Mason Jar

Now get back to interesting arguments way beyond my intelligence level. Best way to learn, ya know?

On my dads buggy, I reclocked his atlas in the same way you did your BIL jeep. Ordered good studs from McMaster that run from case, straight thru 1.125” clocking ring(spacer) into the trans. Nuts on trans output side.

No issues so far, been on 7 trips, checked them 3 times. Paint mark hasn’t moved. Red loctite on them and studs.

502/t400/atlas with dented floor from him smashing the throttle repeatedly

I did add atlas rear support when I clocked the case flat.

Another poly Mount under the t400 output housing, poly motor mounts.

My guess is cheap studs stretched, losing friction between surfaces, then rotation broke cheap studs.

The d300 spacers I’ve seen don’t have a centering lip on them. Most quality driveshaft spacers I see have a centering lip but QC can be questionable on those and how well it really centers the driveshaft. Although I do see a lot of spacers that don’t have centering lips on them.

Either way, assuming the driveshaft spacer is centered with or without the lip, I’m not running it and I’m pretty sure most people use the spacer either as a budget fix or as a temporary fix until a new shaft can be had.

Let me clarify, I’d run it but I wouldn’t have the same confidence as I would otherwise.

I agree, there are things you need to use a spacer for (for lack of other options), and things that should be done the right way (that's subjective sometimes). I'd get a different driveshaft instead of using a spacer. I also don't generally like big wheel spacers for the same reasons, and would much rather have wheels with different offset or more spoke clearance or whatever as a proper solution to the problem being solved (big calipers, more track width, aesthetic preferences, all the normal reasons people use spacers).

Back