What's wrong with people?

hunterdan

Just had a fella come by and trade me a 2007 polaris sportsman 500HO for my pontoon.He left the polaris here and took my boat trailer.The boat is still docked and he can't get to it till I notify the dock owner.Turns out it's a 2004 and he even tried (POORLY) to scratch off the DOM.I called him and asked what was he trying to pull?He is now on his way back with the trailer and wants to talk cash.Anyone have one of those money checkin pens?
One fella was holding tires for me til this past sunday.Called to get a meeting spot and he sold them.Did'nt care less about his word...Now I've got this fella trying to pull a fast one.I won't take anyone's word for spit again....Will update.
I've got to calm down about this....I live on a dead end rd and no ones around.I hope he acts reaaal respectful.

That sucks. I have had similar, although not as bad, experiences with buying/selling stuff on craigslist. In my case, the buyer/seller just never show up.

FWIW, I would tell the guy with the ATV to pound sand.

People just have no sense of courtesy or honor. Last week I found a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 on craigslist for $15,000. Went to look at it, it was a little rough, but worth a lot more than $15k. I told him I would take it, and all we had to do was go to the local branch of my bank to get it appraised which was about 15 minutes away. We went to the bank, it's appraised high enough, so we agreed that I would buy it the next day. I had to do that because my bank is in Asheville and he was in Cherokee. He said he would call me when he got in touch with his bank to find out the payoff in about an hour. I called him four times, he wouldn't answer, and he took it off craigslist. The least he could've done was tell me he didn't want to sell it or it was already sold. It was a sketchy deal though. His shop was in Cherokee, he was staying at a motel, and he supposedly lived in Murphy. And to top it off, he told me he didn't even tell his wife he was selling it until I got there. At least that's what he said.

Just had a fella come by and trade me a 2007 polaris sportsman 500HO for my pontoon.He left the polaris here and took my boat trailer.The boat is still docked and he can't get to it till I notify the dock owner.Turns out it's a 2004 and he even tried (POORLY) to scratch off the DOM.I called him and asked what was he trying to pull?He is now on his way back with the trailer and wants to talk cash.Anyone have one of those money checkin pens?
One fella was holding tires for me til this past sunday.Called to get a meeting spot and he sold them.Did'nt care less about his word...Now I've got this fella trying to pull a fast one.I won't take anyone's word for spit again....Will update.
I've got to calm down about this....I live on a dead end rd and no ones around.I hope he acts reaaal respectful.
Sounds like you just traded a 2004 Polaris for a pontoon trailer, and that seems like a good deal to me. I'd just leave it at that...

Sounds like you just traded a 2004 Polaris for a pontoon trailer, and that seems like a good deal to me. I'd just leave it at that...

Yup!
I'd tell him when he shows up w/ that 2007 Polaris he can have the boat, otherwise you're done.

Yup!
I'd tell him when he shows up w/ that 2007 Polaris he can have the boat, otherwise you're done.

Sounds good to me... Just be like "Man that polaris blew up 10 minutes after I started ridin it, but I figure you can keep that trailer, since this isn't what you were supposed to bring me, and that aint what you were supposed to get, sounds fair.

Boy that's what I wanted to do.He showed up pretty quickly and wanted to talk price.I made him an offer and he did'nt want to do it my way so I've got my trailer back and he has his polaris.I'm glad I made him sign a bill of sale stating the polaris was a 2007.When I met him in person he gave me a limp handshake,did'nt look me in the eye and only gave his first name.I knew something was wrong with him then.I told him that I did'nt believe his story of not knowing.He then said "well i'm honest,I brought your trailer back." I just told him that he did'nt have a choice...
His name is Paul Hood and he lives in Lenoir.

id call the cops and tell them you were just traded a stolen polaris for your boat and all he took was the trailer and hes on his way back right now and they better get out there. cause somebody is missing there four wheeler and if you were in the same position you would want your fourwheeler back

Sounds like you've had a heck of a week hunterdan. You should have called the po po on that guy. I would bet anything it was stolen. Keep your eye's peeled he might come back and try to get a 5 finger discount on some of your stuff. And I would hate for you to get arrested before you buy the rest of the parts from me.He Hee He

A family member is the lead detective in morganton.I'll pass on the info I have.
Hard to believe but he told me how he didn't drink and attended church.I'll have a beer but I'm still a believer.Reminds me of that song God is great,beer is good,people are crazy...

The fact that he couldn't look you in the eye tells me alot. You know he scratched those numbers off and I bet he was drinking a beer or worse when he got the 4 wheeler. And you know you have a point if you can reference a country song.

When I met him in person he gave me a limp handshake...

says enough for me.
I know it seems trite but a man's handshake says a lot.

Boy that's what I wanted to do.He showed up pretty quickly and wanted to talk price.I made him an offer and he did'nt want to do it my way so I've got my trailer back and he has his polaris.I'm glad I made him sign a bill of sale stating the polaris was a 2007.When I met him in person he gave me a limp handshake,did'nt look me in the eye and only gave his first name.I knew something was wrong with him then.I told him that I did'nt believe his story of not knowing.He then said "well i'm honest,I brought your trailer back." I just told him that he did'nt have a choice...
His name is Paul Hood and he lives in Lenoir.

I know that guy!

Just so ya'll know.He's supposed to be a brick layer or owns that kind of business.He drives a red dodge and a ford crew cab diesel thats white.
When he was telling me about himself he claimed to have 4 CJ's.Two have 25K in them and are climbers.The other two are supposed to be 79 & 80 stock models.He also claimed to have 7-4wheelers.He said the one he was trading me was his daughters and he had just bought her a 2010 model and she was begging him to trade her old one for a boat.When everything fell apart as far as our deal,he claimed that his daughter had called 3 times begging him to keep her first 4 wheeler.I'd say hes a LIAR.

Do you have the VIN from the ATV on your copy of the bill of sale? If so, call your Sheriff's office and have them run the number. If it comes back stolen you can tell them where they can find it.

FWIW, I always jot down the license plate number of the vehicle they were driving, their "name", the phone number they called me from, and any other info I can glean when things just don't seem right like this. It's usually as simple as going to get the mail as they are driving away and taking note of the license plate number.

While the name might be a fake, I bet most people aren't counting on you getting their license plate number. If the name on their license plate registration didn't match the name they gave you when they showed up it's a pretty good sign that they were up to no good. It might be helpful if anything does go missing.

Craigslist is full of sketchy people. When I sell household goods on there I put them on the front porch. I don't let them into my house. All they're going to see is what you could see from the road.

I sold an ATV recently and had a lot of sketchy sounding people calling about it. I can't tell you how many people wanted my address without wanting to set a specific day/time to come look at it. I just told people to let me know when they are ready to look at it and I'll give them directions. I don't see why they need to know where I live if they "might come look at it later this week." You can always say "I live off _____ Dr." if they claim they want to look it up on Mapquest to get a feel for the distance.

I had a lot of calls on that ATV from VA for some reason. It was priced fairly, but no way would it have been a good deal for anyone to drive here from VA Beach, Richmond, or elsewhere in VA to buy it. These people didn't ask any of the typical questions (how does it run?, any issues?) yet they acted like they wanted to drive up and buy it. It just didn't make sense and I refused to give any of them my address.

Unless it is too big for me to move on my own, I'll take it up to walmart and meet people there. It is a good central place and I don't give out my home address.

Back