wheel question

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
I have a D-60 and have ground down the calipers to fit 15" wheels on it. Can the same thing be done to a D-44 3/4 ton Ford? Needing to know for a possible trade.

upnover said:
I have a D-60 and have ground down the calipers to fit 15" wheels on it. Can the same thing be done to a D-44 3/4 ton Ford? Needing to know for a possible trade.

I did that to a 79 F250 dual piston caliper for my 15" wheels, Chip. Had to take a LOT off but so far so good :)

I went out and did some looking, it looks like I would have to grind down the caliper and the locking wedge that holds the caliper on. What did you end up doing there Krawler? I am running 16.5's now and there is only about a 1/4 inch clearance at the closest place. Just not sure if I could grind enough off to clear w/o damaging to caliper or the locking wedge. Anyone else have any other ideas, different calipers or wheel spacers?:confused:

I think JB did that on his old front D44 with no issues.

sqrl$$ said:
I went out and did some looking, it looks like I would have to grind down the caliper and the locking wedge that holds the caliper on. What did you end up doing there Krawler? I am running 16.5's now and there is only about a 1/4 inch clearance at the closest place. Just not sure if I could grind enough off to clear w/o damaging to caliper or the locking wedge. Anyone else have any other ideas, different calipers or wheel spacers?:confused:

You could go any of those routes with spacer, calipers, etc I guess. I am on a seriously LOW budget since I retired. Got these rims for basically nothing and felt like I had to use them. Like you mentioned, I had to grind about half the lock clip off as well as a portion of the caliper mount and caliper. I took as little as I could repeatedly putting the rim on to check until it just cleared. While I had misgivings about the advisability of doing this, the cost and "that won't work"/"you can't do that" factor over rode them :) Several trips to parts store, grocery, church, etc as well as 5 wheelin trips and it has held up so far. I'm careful with it though.

Back