Wheel spacer's

zjcrazy

Wheel spacers

Hey ya'll I have a quick newbie question for ya...

is there anything wrong with runnin one 3/4 inch wheelspacer on one side of an axle?

Thanks in advance :driver:

Why only on one side?
I would think you would want it to be set up equal on each side.
What are you trying to accomplish with this?

It will throw off your alignment a little.

How much lift do you have? Are you gonna run 2 spacers, one for each axle? Get trackbars or make longer ones. Using spacers is yes, cheaper but ghetto.

for a pair of hubcentric spacers (i dont think they sell them individually) you could just as soon invest a couple more dollars into an adjustable trackbar and not be ghetto supreme.

thanks for the help... I finally got an 8.8 under my zj, but it is off center pretty badly... the left side is pretty even and the right side is about an inch to far out.

I was planning on just taking out one spacer and be done with it, but I guess the thing I need to do is get an adjustable trac bar in the rear and crank to the drivers side. I guess I will also need to get wheelspacers that are a hair narrower.

I suppose it really isn't a huge deal, but it bugs the hell out of me.

zjcrazy said:
thanks for the help... I finally got an 8.8 under my zj, but it is off center pretty badly... the left side is pretty even and the right side is about an inch to far out.

I was planning on just taking out one spacer and be done with it, but I guess the thing I need to do is get an adjustable trac bar in the rear and crank to the drivers side. I guess I will also need to get wheelspacers that are a hair narrower.

I just swapped an 8.8 in the rear of mine and damn its an ordeal. Why is it offcenter? did you not get the brackets right on there? I had to redo mine after I got them on there because the tubes being different sizes on each side of the diff really f-ed up the measurements.

What are you doing for a rear trackbar right now? A stock one or the relocation bracket? I got my JKS from kevins offroad and it works great, highly adjustable.

cherokee91red said:
Leaf springs baby :Rockon: Now track bars to worry about, and much easier to set up for a swap.

Ding, Ding, Ding...no more calls please we have a winner! :D

We still don't have the answer to the question: why is it so far off center? If it's the track bar...it's an easy fix. Just get a longer/adjustable one. If you welded the bracket in the wrong place...Well, go stand in the corner...don't forget the pointy hat...when you are done there, get out the plasma and start over. Beter to do it right...than to do it ghetto.

cherokee91red said:
Leaf springs baby :Rockon: Now track bars to worry about, and much easier to set up for a swap.

coils > :gay: leafs

(even thought leafs flex better, are easier to adjust ride height, are cheaper, and are generally better than coils all the way around. )

[/leaf envy]

Puma297 said:
coils > :gay: leafs

(even thought leafs flex better, are easier to adjust ride height, are cheaper, and are generally better than coils all the way around. )

[/leaf envy]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Guess that about sums it up

Puma297 said:
even thought leafs flex better, are easier to adjust ride height, are cheaper, and are generally better than coils all the way around. )

Yes, my leaf setup has great flex, but not as much as if I had put the time into a link/coil suspension. Easier to adjust height? not really. cheaper? no way. junkyard coils are just as cheap, and a pair of Alcan leaves are $400+ shipping. $200 or less will buy me a pair of coils, shipped.

I'd love to have a link setup right now, but all the other parts to convert to links ain't cheap.

Rich said:
Yes, my leaf setup has great flex, but not as much as if I had put the time into a link/coil suspension. Easier to adjust height? not really. cheaper? no way. junkyard coils are just as cheap, and a pair of Alcan leaves are $400+ shipping. $200 or less will buy me a pair of coils, shipped.

by adjustability in height I mean add a leaf or take one out.

zjcrazy said:

Is there enough meat on the trac bar bracket to drill another bolt hole to move the tracbar over? If not, $90 get's an Adjustable trac bar. Do the job right, don't botch it up with a spacer.....

All you need to drill the hole is some good measurements and someone who knows trig.. :D ......So don't ask me!

I had to do this on my ZJ after installing a lift. Or at least I opted for that as opposed to the Adj. Trac Bar. the destructions that came with my lift kit told me how much to move the hole over.

Puma297 said:
by adjustability in height I mean add a leaf or take one out.

Which alters the spring rate, as well as the height...

Slipping a 1" spacer between the coil and the bucket is far easier (to me) than loosening the u-bolts, dropping the axle away, clamping the leaf pack, unbolting the center pin, adding in the new leaf, and re-assembling the whole thing... assuming the center pin isn't boogered up, and you haven't worn out the u-bolt nuts. ;)

Just my $.02

thanks yall...

right now the axle is sitting under a stock trac-bar with a relocation bracket... I think I am going to ditch that setup in favor of an adjustable tracbar. Lookin at it now the wheel is 2 inches off center. So that means I should only have to adjust it one inch. which mean I should have enough space before the control arms bind up. If the adjustable trac-bar causes the control arms to bind, then I will wear the dunce cap as I try and do the whole thing over again.

I can't wait to just get longarms and not have to worry about the trac - bar.

Anyway

Thanks again

Rich said:
Which alters the spring rate, as well as the height...

Slipping a 1" spacer between the coil and the bucket is far easier (to me) than loosening the u-bolts, dropping the axle away, clamping the leaf pack, unbolting the center pin, adding in the new leaf, and re-assembling the whole thing... assuming the center pin isn't boogered up, and you haven't worn out the u-bolt nuts. ;)

Just my $.02

I guess its a "grass is always greener" type thing.

Back