Wheel swap

Trebissky

Okay, I know there's some kind of difference between a 2WD and 4WD wheel on GMC/Chevy S-series. What I want to know is what would actually happen if you did put 2WD wheels on a 4WD, anyway? Is the main difference the amount of backspace, or what? If that IS it, would it just make the wheels stick out a bit past the fenders? Or what? This is assuming the same tires (235/75R15) on both types.

Wheel offset is the issue, to the tune of about 3.5"

Running a standard offset wheel will over time (sooner on something with miles on it) wear out the unitized bearings in the front hubs due to added leverage of the standard wheels. Scrub radius will be pretty screwed up and tire wear will be the suck. I won't mention the added stress on ball joints and control arm bushings.

Tire rub (fenders/bumper) will also be an issue.

Conversely, running a 4x "S" truck wheel on a 2x truck will net you NO steering as the wheel will hit the control arms and the tires will be into the fenderwell skirts.

It can/has been done, just understand the conseqences, they are real.

Kevin

A lot of chevy trucks had 6 lug 4x4 wheels an 2wd had 5 lugs. The newer stuff from about 99 up all used the same pattern an wheel design 6 lugs. an yes they are interchangable with no adverse effects. A factory 7 or 8" wheel is going to have the same backspacing for 4wd or 2wd. ( this is the fullsize trucks). I didnt realise they made 2 different backspacing for the s-10 from the factory, learned something I did.

Some guy at Discount tire was telling me the Dodges were terrible if the offset is too negative, Bearing replacement every 15k or so..

Well, now I know WHAT the difference is. No biggie, I have a line on some 4WD wheels anyhow. Thanks for the info.

Back