wheelbase length

orange150

just measured my wheelbase at 128". i was thinking about moving my rear axle back some so my departure angle would be a little better but since my wheelbase is so long im not sure if i should or not.

what do you guyses think would be best?

Personally, I'd shorten it.

i dont really know if i can, unles i moved my rear axle forward towards the cab. my front axle has already been moved forward about 6" and i dont really feel like goin back to that. so maybe i will just leave it and build a bellypan for some good ole fashioned high centering!

Bob it and regain your departure angle. The length will be an asset in the steep stuf.

thats just how it was done, RufusTheRam did for me, im not complaining about that, hey i have one hell of an approach angle now. but it did make it long.

i would bob it but im running leaves in the rear, doesnt really leave much to bob.

but i did just get an idea: Ford leaves are offset, the centerpin isnt exactly center. i could move the hangers forward but flip the springs, leaving the axle in the same place but with the short side of the leaf towards the rear of the frame it would leave me more "useless" frame to deal with.

here is a pic of the front end, you can tell by the wheel well how far forward it was moved.

Attachments

• bolton2.jpg
    bolton2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 500
i'd move the rear forward, and hack what's left behind off the frame. you're already going to do a shackle flip and inboard the springs you've said, so moving the axle forward is hardly any more labor. flip your springs around while you're at it too. with your planned 42's, around 118-120 inches would be a nice number. your front axle can be moved back 1-2 inches fairly easily, but that's kind of backpedaling and taking the easy way out imo. running the axle pushed forward will pay off in approach angle and cab clearance with the tires since it'll be fairly low.

Flipping the spring around would add more axle wrap I'm told. Jst my .02

Paul

idislikeunc said:
Flipping the spring around would add more axle wrap I'm told. Jst my .02

Paul

I think it would too. I have been considering flipping mine for added wheelbase, but I believe it will increase axle wrap and I don't want to run a traction bar. A few guys on pirate have done it with their FS Broncos. The wheelbase on my Bronco was 103". I would like to extend it some, by moving the rear axle back since the front is set now. If Orange150 does not care, maybe we should turn this into a post a side shot of your vehicle and list your wheelbase/tire size thread?

I think 128" is too long, but I am just regurgitating what I hear everyone else say. Maybe you should run it like that to get out on the trail, and then change it later if you don't like it.

DK

i dont care what gets done to my thread. anything to help me along the way.

im not too worried about running a traction bar, i was pretty certain i was going to have to anyway.

one of the reasons why im not just kinda slapping it together is because im trying my hardest to build it how i want it now instead of modifing one part, putting it back together, drive it for a week, take it back apart etc. etc. Of course some things must be driven and tweaked to get perfect, but for everything else i want to build it how i want now instead of dealing with it later on down the road.

Well, in the end, you won't know until you drive it.

There's no such thing as a "correct" wheelbase. There are some obstacles that eat short wheelbase rigs just as there are some that eat long WB, and some that kill folks in the middle.

I'm at about 107" with the Bronco.... maybe 106.5" as it sits now. I plan on moving both axles to get a bit more.... maybe 3" total. Just enough to take some off my huge rear overhang, and a bit in front to get the tires away from the cab.

125" will climb like all hell.... and with no rear body, you won't be limited quite so much by the long WB hanging up in turns. Maybe it's time to think about a rear ARB and some cutting brakes. ;)

ive got an idea, ill cut my frame and make it slide like a drawer with hydraulics, and make a nifty telescoping driveshaft so i can lengthen or shorten my wheelbase as needed..... :rolleyes:

saf-t scissors said:
Maybe it's time to think about a rear ARB and some cutting brakes. ;)

ahha! something i have been thinking of for a while, and now the start of yet another post!

Back