Wheeling Trip this Weekend - Uwharrie in the rain?

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Red04Cobra, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Red04Cobra

Red04Cobra Member

My friends and I have been planning a trip for the past month. I see that the weather Saturday is not looking so great. I'll be in my '14 Rubicon and my friends will be on an ATV and a Wrangler sport. Will the rain make it extremely difficult?

How about Brown Mountain?

We are coming from SWVA so both locations are only a couple of hours from here.

Thanks!

2. Jason W.

Jason W. Carolina Trail Blazers

Uwharrie will drastically change in the rain while its falling, a lot of it will be super slick. Stick to the easy rated trails first, they may not be hard , but when its raining you will feel like you are wheeling on wet ice wheeling.

Brown Mtn is a waste of time in a Jeep, very little for you to ride. I dang sure wouldn't drive that far to go there.

3. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

Uwharrie is a place where a skilled driver can do most of the place in 2wd. When the rain comes its a game changer, 4 low and hoping for the best. Like Jason said, choose the easy trails to start with cause they are not as easy in the rain. If you feel pretty confident after that step it up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ord.sgt.26NC

ord.sgt.26NC Gott mit uns!

me and my posy(sp) are going to be there come rain or not.We ain't skeert! While the rain is actually falling,it will be very slick.If it stops,the clay gets allmost tacky after a hour or two.

lowestjumperXJ likes this.
  5. Red04Cobra

Red04Cobra Member

What time are you all gonna be there? We would love to meet up with some people who have more experience with the trails than ourselves!

6. RatLabGuy

RatLabGuy You look like a monkey and smell like one too

orange slime

7. rodney eppes

rodney eppes Well-Known Member

CTB, will be there, & planned ride time is 10am. Probably pull out from UORTC, x from Outpost.

8. ord.sgt.26NC

ord.sgt.26NC Gott mit uns!

going to be camping in arrowhead campground arriving friday evening and staying till sunday.Look for dark green early Bronco or my green flatty willys with NO roll bar.Where are ya'll camping?

9. Red04Cobra

Red04Cobra Member

Well, we aren't camping. We will be driving back and forth. It's about a two hour drive, but i've got some commitments this weekend where i'll need to be traveling back and forth. We will be heading down tomorrow morning early to try it while it's dry and see how that goes. Then likely head back early Saturday morning to try it in the rain. We should be able to be there by 9:00 or 10:00 at the latest on Saturday.

10. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck BLM HOTSHOT

There is one spot on Wolfden ( easiest trail ) you need to watch out for. It has gotten a few people this year to include someone Monday evening. It is right by the camping spot around the middle of the trail and it is all clay right now. Slick clay.I have seen 3 people myself pop a bead on tht part and one jeep flop on its side right there.

11. lowestjumperXJ

lowestjumperXJ Member

I'm planning on being there Saturday, just not sure what time yet. Look for the silver X-cab Toyota. If you see me flag me down, I'll ride with ya if you want.

12. XJfreakHO

XJfreakHO Triad Trail Junkies

13. Red04Cobra

Red04Cobra Member

Well, we made it back Friday. We are heading back down this morning as well!

I wonder if this is the spot you're talking about on Wolf's Den?

It was a bit tricky getting a stock Wrangler sport with Goodyear SRA's up it.

14. Bogleparsons

Bogleparsons Well-Known Member

I think you needed more gas pedal :rockon:

15. krzyabncanuck

Yes. That was the spot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

16. krzyabncanuck

Up to last year that area was just like the rest of that trail. A walk in the park. But the rain this year has made a mess out of it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk