when buying a vehicle out of state...

OBX Fisherman

what does one do for a license plate If they are going to drive it back to NC? I'm looking at a vehicle in VA from a private seller and I want to drive it back to NC and register it down here. Do I need a license plate to get it home? Thanks

Gary

my friend bought a jeep in NC and took it back to VA. he got some temp type license he hung in his window. it basically stated he was going from point a to point b in so many days. not sure how it got it, but that was the recommended way. or just trailer it

no, you dont need a license plate to drive it back home. just be sure to get one when you get it inspected/added to the insurance/get it registered/ whatever. my family and i moved down here and we didnt get a license plate until about a month after. although, that was about 7 years ago, but i am almost positive that you wouldnt need one right away.

midnite said:
no, you dont need a license plate to drive it back home. just be sure to get one when you get it inspected/added to the insurance/get it registered/ whatever. my family and i moved down here and we didnt get a license plate until about a month after. although, that was about 7 years ago, but i am almost positive that you wouldnt need one right away.

yeah but i'm sure your vehicles were already plated from where you moved from. his new car isn't going to have a plate on it when he buys it.

you have to get the plate before hand..i know. I traded my stang for a ranger out of state and was driving back in town that same day and got pulled over. Got to park the truck on the side of the road and walk home with a ticket.

oo, i guess i missed the part were he said new. <<not trying to be a smart a$$, but i really missed it. but yes, if the new car doesnt have a plate then you would need a new one. and yes, my cars did have plates on them when i drove them down. but you dont need that states plate until you inspected/added to the insurance/get it registered/ whatever

I bought a car off the internet and I had to drive it from NC to SC. I drove it back with no plate at all and was not hassled. I just made sure to have a bill of sale with me. DJ

If you are a real slacker and a smooth talker... I have known guys to just take a plate off anothero one of their vehicles and put it on there just for the drive home. *This isn't legal*. However it will keep you from getting pulled for having no plate, and is an issue only if you provoke a cop to run your plates for some otehr reason...

How do you get a plate without a title?

This is "as legal as" ratlabs suggestion, but I have used the "tag applied for cardboard.
And been stopped showed bill of sale explained situation and got out of it, but I can be fairly articualte with LEOs I guess....

I had plenty of practice in my younger days:D

hey i just went through this exact process to get my F-250:
The guy I bought it from mailed me the title in his name, signed over to me and a bill of sale. I went to the DMV and they said since I have the actual title I can go ahead and get my plates and registration card (dont forget insurance). So thats what I did. rode up there with new plate and registration in my bag. Once the tags were issued i had 10 days to get it inspected in NC.

get the VIN # and insure the vehicle, get a proof of insurance card.

Take plate off another vehicle that is current.

Put that plate on new car and drive home.

If your not bright and get pulled over, hand cop just signed over title, proof of insurance and keep your hands on the steering wheel. You will be fine promise.

If you are "selling" a vehicle, say in the next 30 days after buying something, I believe there is some sort of loophole where you can take the tag off it and put on the car you are registering...and have xx days to do the paperwork transfering the tag..

(Insur the car you are buying...) and have the bill of sale on hand...that is the rumor I have heard and acted upon for years...

Sam

I got a BMW from South Carolina... What i did was got an insurance binder on it and took the tag off my jeep and drove it home.. no hassles no worries. Legal?? maybe not but more legal then just driving it home with no tag/insurance

Cperry said:
get the VIN # and insure the vehicle, get a proof of insurance card.
Take plate off another vehicle that is current.
Put that plate on new car and drive home.
If your not bright and get pulled over, hand cop just signed over title, proof of insurance and keep your hands on the steering wheel. You will be fine promise.

Cool, thats the best idea and most legal sounding way yet since I wouldn't be able to get the title in time to get plates between now and Sunday.

Thanks for all the replies eveyone!!

Gary

...and what are ya getting!?!?!? Oil burner by any far fetch? Time to start abusing/wheeling the 3.slow 4runner? :)

Inquiring minds...

i'm just saying that i had no tag..1st day and got pulled over..i had a bill of sale, signed title, and printed off insurance card...and i was extremely polite and did as i was told to do and was handed a ticket and told to park it and have a good day. I got a nice walk home!

Back