Where can I find a Cam for 304AMC in stock?

Hulk72

So I am in process of fixing up my 304 in my 1972 Commando, and I just found out that the cam I ordered from Summit a month ago is expected to ship in October now...

Does anyone know of a magical place that might have some 304 camshafts and lifters in stock?

Northern seems to carry a lot of AMC products, ive bought from them twice and had good service.

Rodney, thanks. I have been on the phone with Jegs and summit today and both of them have no AMC cams at all. I am not planning on a stock cam either but at this point I would take just about anything.

Rodney, thanks. I have been on the phone with Jegs and summit today and both of them have no AMC cams at all. I am not planning on a stock cam either but at this point I would take just about anything.
Tried rock auto?

Northern has some stock ones and they thought they had one of the comp cams I was after on the shelf but it was miss labeled and huge.

I will try Rock Auto next

I looked mine up; check out the SUM K8600 cam kit. Shows out of stock, but you could have it by 8/4/21, if ordered now. @amcjeepman , recommended it to me. I don't know squat about the specs. It does "lope" a tad more than I prefer.

I looked mine up; check out the SUM K8600 cam kit. Shows out of stock, but you could have it by 8/4/21, if ordered now. @amcjeepman , recommended it to me. I don't know squat about the specs. It does "lope" a tad more than I prefer.
I have used that cam in numerous AMCs over the years. Def more ooomph than stock, nice lope and you can reuse all of your existing valvetrain.
Solid choice right there.

Last edited:
Well finally got a com and lifter kit in! I tore the motor down yesterday and found that the cam bearings have failed, so I turned the motor over and pulled the oil pan to find a rag in the pan stopping up the pickup. I guess the shop the PO had do the rear main was nice enough to leave it. So I checked the crank bearings and it’s not good. Guess it’s time to look for another engine. If I didn’t have bad luck I wouldn’t have any at all

So after going back and forth on what to do with my burnt up engine I just decided to chalk it up to a learning experience and do a full tear down and rebuild myself. I hope it runs!

Attachments

• 7C1E00A7-A75C-4DCB-8AD1-0104CF11C051.jpeg
    7C1E00A7-A75C-4DCB-8AD1-0104CF11C051.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 55DA8FD0-E280-47D6-9C6A-DDF014360F07.jpeg
    55DA8FD0-E280-47D6-9C6A-DDF014360F07.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 101
  • E8A0CEBA-E333-44AC-BDFA-CDE35B8B3CE9.jpeg
    E8A0CEBA-E333-44AC-BDFA-CDE35B8B3CE9.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 95
@Hulk72 Forgot to ask what you did to prep that Performer? Sand blasted? Soda blasted?

Got one for my 360 that appears to have been boiled in crude oil for a few 100K miles 🙄 ... don't need "show quality", but wouldn't mind if it looked better than the crusty cast-iron intake it'll be replacing ;)

@Hulk72 Forgot to ask what you did to prep that Performer? Sand blasted? Soda blasted?

Got one for my 360 that appears to have been boiled in crude oil for a few 100K miles 🙄 ... don't need "show quality", but wouldn't mind if it looked better than the crusty cast-iron intake it'll be replacing ;)
I used mag wheel cleaner on my 258 al. intake

I ended up media blasting it at a buddy's race shop. He wanted to powder coat it silver, but I figured I would roll with it the way it was.

Back