Where to buy AC capacitor on a Saturday?

Macdaddy4738

Pretty sure my capacitor crapped out this afternoon. No outward signs, and I don't have a multimeter that can read capacitance but the symptoms match up. I had my mechanical guys come out when I bought the house and the blower cap was reading a little low so it stands to reason...

Standard 45-5, seems to be an easy repair and I'd rather not pay the 145 an hour the HVAC guys want for emergency assistance. If it doesn't fix it, at least I tried.

If I remember right Reedy's in Winston is open on Saturday mornings. but it's been awhile.

My local re Michel is open Saturday mornings and have a 24 hr emergency number. You have to be a contractor to purchase from them, so you should ask a local Hvac tech friend. They may have one on their truck.

Not sure if you're near a CC Dickson but some of those are open til noon on Saturdays, I bought a fan capacitor a while back for less than $1. Saved a buddy of mine some $$$

My local re Michel is open Saturday mornings and have a 24 hr emergency number. You have to be a contractor to purchase from them, so you should ask a local Hvac tech friend. They may have one on their truck.
I've tried to reach my Hvac guy but to no avail. I know he would have the capacitor for sure but no way to reach him.

Not sure if you're near a CC Dickson but some of those are open til noon on Saturdays, I bought a fan capacitor a while back for less than $1. Saved a buddy of mine some $$$
Do they sell direct to the public? The one in Concord is open tomorrow and that drive isn't awful.

My experience is if you know exactly what you want they will sell it to you with the exception of refrigerants.

Well shit, they don't have a 45-5 in stock. Guess I'm sweating it until next week.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Next sizero up

Well I found a contractor with one and bought it off of his truck this afternoon. Hooked it up and reconnected the unit. A really loud buzzing noise followed by some smoke from somewhere and...well I have no idea.

The capacitor is a "start up" capacitor, you can leave it off turn on the unit and spin the fan by haND and it will start up. If that doesn't work you probably have a bad fan, witch it sounds like you have annyway..

many modern units use a start cap and a run cap.
also both the fan and the compressor frequently have separate caps.
cant spin the compressor by hand

Yeah make sure you have a start/run capacitor on it. That's what happened to my buddies unit, a family member came out and installed a run only capacitor and outside fan wouldn't always work. The loud humming you heard was probably compressor kicking on, not sure where your smoke came from unless somehow you fried that capacitor you just installed

The capacitor is a "start up" capacitor, you can leave it off turn on the unit and spin the fan by haND and it will start up. If that doesn't work you probably have a bad fan, witch it sounds like you have annyway..
I tried that and it didn't seem to work so I am suspecting it's the fan motor at the very least. I gave up and will just get an HVAC guy out here Monday.

Well I found a contractor with one and bought it off of his truck this afternoon. Hooked it up and reconnected the unit. A really loud buzzing noise followed by some smoke from somewhere and...well I have no idea.
Well shit. You released the magic smoke.
It won't run now, that smoke is the magic ingredient.

It was the contactor. Should have been obvious to me because it was actually burned up (where the magic smoke came from). 134 dollars to replace it. Kind of sucks because the part sells online for like 40 bucks (they charged me 85...).

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Back