Where to get axle stripped/dipped/cleaned?

Elliott

Well the parts are coming together for my front axle that i'll be swapping into my ZJ but the housing i have is in pretty gross shape. I have everything disassembled and am wanting to get just the housing acid dipped to remove all the rust, dirt, junk, etc. that has built up on it over the years before I put in all my shiny new parts. Anyone know of a place around greensboro/winston to get this done?

Any machine shop should have a hot tank, but that probably wont be large enough to fit a whole axle housing in. I recently went through the same thing, Externally I was able to get my axle housing very clean with just a few different size wire brushes, some engine degreaser, and some greased lightning cleaner and a few rags. I got my axle clean enough to paint and it looks excellent now.

Try machine shops. You could also try geting it bead or sand blasted. That might work out well. -Tim

I work at a machine shop and we don't have anything big enough to do that. But, since you have it apart, I would say take a 4 inch grinder with a 4 inch cup knotted brush and go to it. Finish up with a small knotted brush on a 1/4 inch die grinder. Should work out just fine. Wear eye protection!

Knotted wire wheels and plenty of degreaser is the way to go.

I'd stay away from bead or sand blasting, only because it tends to pound the oily muck into the surface of the steel, making paint adhesion difficult later.

definitely go with the wire brush method.....will take a while to get it lookin good but still your best/cheapest bet.

ridefast said:
definitely go with the wire brush method.....will take a while to get it lookin good but still your best/cheapest bet.

Probably the same amount of time as stripping the axle bare (in include seals), taking it to whatever shop was going to do the work, and then picking it back up later. ;)

Wal-Mart.....2can's of Aircraft Stripper...Works REAL good!!!!!(near the bondo and other body junk)

Oh, and it's worth mentioning that you want to wear sufficient safety gear with any of this stuff. Even those water-based detergents are hell on your skin. Get some goggles, nitrile gloves, and wear pants and long sleeves when you do this. A hat to keep crap out of your hair, too.

Sand or beed blasting...done plenty never had a problem. Cheap and quick, last 9" housing we had done cost $20 and did it while we waited. Several places in Greensboro, just look under sand blasting in the yellow pages.

BIGWOODY said:
Sand or beed blasting...done plenty never had a problem. Cheap and quick, last 9" housing we had done cost $20 and did it while we waited. Several places in Greensboro, just look under sand blasting in the yellow pages.

sandblasting is an idea i suppose. the reason i'm wanting it dipped or something is because there is a fair amount of mud/crud/grease in the tubes that I dont think the wire brush or sandblasting would take care of.

I'm with Greg....sandblasting is cheaper than an afternoon (longer?) picking wire out of you hands/etc.!

Wait to clean the insides until after it's been blasted.... clean the housing internally with Kero & swap w/ rag attached to a rod. O few small wire brushes maybe to hit the nasty stuff, "rinse", blow it dry with compressed air. You can brakeclean any kero that gets on the exterior befor you throw on the paint...

If you go the knotted wire cup, you may want to use a shield (those little wires go EVERYWHERE :mad: ) over regular safety specs... BTDT

thanks for the advice. i suppose i'll sandblast it. one more question though, will i need to worry about painting the inside? I don't want it to rust or corrode after it is sandblasted but there will be lube inside it at all times so probably wouldn't be a problem right? I also dont want the paint to flake off into the gear oil.

I would wash the inside with some degreaser to get any metal out of it. A good dowsing of WD-40 and then a coat of oil. this will keep it from rusting until you can re-assemble it. Don't blast the tube ends or inside.

Back