Where to go backpacking?

jeepinmatt

..l.
I would like to do something interesting with the girlfriend this weekend, and we are wanting to go backpacking. Is there anywhere near the Raleigh/Durham area that is worth going backpacking at? I would really like to keep it within an hour or so of Durham. Anybody got any ideas?

uwharrie has some good backpacking trails, spent many a weekend there as a boy scout.

Duane

ure or umstead is all i can think of that close. i think the park on durant rd. might have some trails also.

imo, it'd be a MUCH better trip if you spent the couple extra hours on a drive to the mountains.

raven rock, lillington, nc. i know it sounds fun, but it is WAY to cold to go hiking/backpacking. but when it warms up def. check out raven rock, my girlfriend loved it

There's Umstead, but only if you're looking for a little walk on Sunday afternoon.

Ive been to Raven Rock before, it was ok, but a bit flat. Im not too worried about the cold. We were at South Mtns in December, and it spent a lot of time around or below freezing. I will look into Uwharrie and Birkhead. I have actually looked Birkhead up before, as I pass it on my way to her house, and it piqued my interest. I was under the impression that it was more of a day use only kinda place. We may end up in the western part of the state after all...

Im pretty familiar with the offerings in the western part of the state, I was just hoping to find something closer to her house in Durham. Now for a long story.

I LOVE Linville Gorge. Last winter (around new years), me and 2 of my buddies went up there and hiked a non-existent loop. We started at the base of Table rock. We got there late in the afternoon on the first day, hauled butt down past the Chimneys to the top of Shortoff mountain and camped there for the night. The next day we dropped down the south side of Shortoff, and then cut off into the woods to reach the river and connect up to the trail that runs along the river. It was about 2 miles total, with about a mile of it navigating the most difficultly passable terrain I have encountered in my entire life. It was a mix of trees broken off about 3-4feet high, but still intact, mixed with 5-8year old pine saplings, and a ton of briars. The fallen trees were low enough that you couldn't duck under them, and rotten enough that walking on them was dangerous because the bark would detach and slip. It took us about 2.5hrs to do the first mile. When we finally came out to what was apparently the trail, it was very difficult to follow due to the flooding the year before. We finally stopped for lunch at the first river crossing, upon which we discovered I was sick and had a nice fever (explaining why I didn't sleep the night before). After crossing the river, we went about 2 more hours, which I think was about 2 miles. We camped the night by the river, and then got up the next morning with the intention of hiking about 2 miles to the second river crossing, then another mile up the gorge side of Table Rock to come out at the parking lot. Our plan was a bit spoiled when we were unable to cross the river because it was winter and the water was high. We made several attempts, and definitely got our feet wet. We ended up hiking back down a mile or so and then about 3 miles up a bunch of switchbacks to come out on old NC105 and find enough cell signal (thank God) to call my parents and have them come pick us up.

Re: Linville, I really like the hike up to Hawksbill Mtn (or is it crest? Can''t remember). Not a bad trail... just goes up, and up, and up. Ocne you get to the top, there's an "extra" trail off to teh side that goes to the rEAL top - full 360 degree view. Worth the asthma enhaler you need to get there, lol.

As for closer to Durham, if you want something easy to acces, Umstead Park is pretty nice. Not huge, but close. Back when I was in Scouts, and we were "training for an App Trail hike, we'd spend Saturdays hiking around there wearing framepacks full of water and rocks.
Pretty sure you can't camp IN the park, but I *think* there are designated camping areas.
Otherwise, i'd vote for Uwharrie.

I was just informed that it is now my opinion that it is too cold for backpacking. Ill look into some of these day hikes.

Back