Where to put the weight

lomodyj

Gonna take a long trip this summer (2000 miles round trip). Gonna have to carry enough grease to run the whole trip (150 gallons) I've got the regular grease tank of 65 gallons in the front of the bed, so that leaves a little under 100 gallons to carry in other tanks. I'm gonna have 3 35 gallon tanks that have a foot print about the size of a 55 gal drum. Question is...

Where do I put the weight (~630#'s). Would it be better to put the tanks in the bed (Dodge CTD 3500) or on the Trailer in front of the YJ?

My suggestion is to put in the bed of the truck. As the trip progesses you will be consuming the grease and if you put it on the trailer you may have to adjust your tongue wt. by moving the jeep around several times.

Good Idea...but I will have stopped and pulled the Jeep off the trailer before I need to start moving fuel from the 35 gal tanks to the permenant 65 gal tank. So, repositioning will be easy.

this will probally sound nOObish, but what would you need that grease for? im assuming bearings for the trailer wheels, but i dunno. please enlighten.

Ya definately in the truck bed, you have plenty of truck and shouldn't notice the weight. If on the trailer it would hinder to your braking, in the truck it should help.
Grease- I guess you're adding used cooking oil to the fuel or in place of it?

To answer the grease questions. I'm converting my diesel to run on SVO (Straight Vegatable Oil). Good clean cooking oil...better for the truck, better for the enviroment, somewhat cheaper to "buy" and the truck runs the same.

RQ came up with the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Galen, just another thought, how do you tranfer the grease from the barrels to the tank? My thought was if you keep them in the bed, you can get a fuel pump or something similar, and acouple piece of hose and pump it. much easier tfrom the bed too. but then you've probably already figured somethign like this out.

I caught a clip on the news about various grease locations across the US, and there was a website that had a map of all the vegi-oil refueling stations (most out west, but SOME around here)

Would it not be more efficient to refuel at one of those instead of hauling several hundred pounds of grease?

CasterTroy said:
I caught a clip on the news about various grease locations across the US, and there was a website that had a map of all the vegi-oil refueling stations (most out west, but SOME around here)
Would it not be more efficient to refuel at one of those instead of hauling several hundred pounds of grease?

Don't know about Galen, but I know guys that get it from Restaurants..... free

This is turning into a SVO-WVO tech thread, more can be learned in this thread about veggie oil burners

I've not gotten mine converted yet so I can't say how mine will do. I've driven and ridden in a few vehicles (another CTD, 2 Passats and a couple of M-Bs) that all run the same as on dino-diesel, they just smell different. Once I get mine changed over...I'll post up my findings and feelings on it. Remember, Dr. Rudolph Diesel designed his motor to run on peanut oil...not dinojuice.

As for transfer, I'm planning an inline pump between 2 hoses of any given length. Transfer is not really an issue. I was more worried about where to carry the weight, and it made sense to me to carry it in the bed, but wanted to see what others thought.

Some better information on my weight distribution so any of you can change your minds on where the weight goes.

I'll be running dino diesel (actually Bio-diesel but that's another story) in the stock 38 gallon tank under the bed. I have a 65 gallon auxillary tank mounted at the front of the bed. I'll have about 400 #'s of camping gear either in the truck or in the YJ on the trailer. I'm tag rated to carry all of the gear, grease and Jeep. Just trying to figure out where to put all the weight (between the extra grease and camping gear it's about 1000#'s).

As for fueling along the way. My grease that I have here cost me much less than $1.00 a gallon, even after I pay road use tax on it, it is still very cheap. Most guys on the lists want to charge a dollar or so a gallon just to pay for their time in harvesting the grease and filtering it (and that price is fair). I can carry the 150 gallons with me for less than I can buy it for.

lomodyj said:
As for fueling along the way. My grease that I have here cost me much less than $1.00 a gallon, even after I pay road use tax on it, it is still very cheap. Most guys on the lists want to charge a dollar or so a gallon just to pay for their time in harvesting the grease and filtering it (and that price is fair). I can carry the 150 gallons with me for less than I can buy it for.

well, there you go :D answers THAT!

lomodyj said:
Remember, Dr. Rudolph Diesel designed his motor to run on peanut oil...not dinojuice.

Remember, Dr. Robert Bosch didn't design his fuel pumps to pump and inject WVO, which can suspend tiny water droplets not easily separated by traditional 'on-the-fly' methods that work for diesel fuel. But, those little water droplets do explode when compressed to several thousand PSI, eroding the mirror finish in the high pressure pump... :flipoff2:

Back on topic, load that bed down, you'll LOVE the ride!

But, if I could find de-watered and filtered WVO for $1 / gal, I'd run it too.

Galen I just drove back from MI with the 2300Lb camper in the bed and it road great. Put the weight in the bed, you spine will love you for it.

Rich said:
But, if I could find de-watered and filtered WVO for $1 / gal, I'd run it too.

It's there to be found...You just gotta look...and be patient once you get it. Common recomendation is to pre-filter with a 10 micron sock into a tank (painted black, sitting in the sun) Let it sit for 2 weeks or so to settle out water and particulates, then filter to 5 micron into your truck tank, then 2 micron in the truck...That's my plan.

Thanks for the info Carl. Heard you were picking up a tin can tent...how 'bout some pics.

Back