Where to ride in WNC

Goosedog

I'm in Pisgah Forest, NC and just recently finished restoring my Willys '63 CJ3b and I want to get it in its element. Not looking for anything too burly, just nice backwoods trails/roads, the kinda thing my Jeep was made for in mostly stock form. Something where 4wheel drive is a must and a winch might be needed but not any extreme rock crawling. This last weekend my GF and I rode thru Gorges State Park down to Jocassee and back on the power company roads, that was about what I want to find more of...maybe a bit rougher. Isn't there more on the SE side of the lake? Being able to camp where we ride is a plus.

Thanks, Goose

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v419_Goosedog_The_20Willys_IMG_0676.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v419_Goosedog_The_20Willys_IMG_0601.jpg

I have never been but Hurricane Creek seems like it would be right in line with what you are looking at. Poke around and you ca. Find some more info.

Another neat place that's not too hard is brown mtn ohv. You can camp there and ride. There's also a lot of dirt roads that fallow the river through there. There's a good thread that started a little while ago on this area. It's defenlty worth a trip. It's a little hot right now, its a good late summer early fall trip too. Plus plenty of good places to cool of in the nice mtn water!

http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php?threads/brown-mnt-camping.124612/

caney fork which is in Cullowhee, bigger and funner (imo) than hurricane creek.
there is also a place up on the blue ridge parkway that opens up for a little while every year that would be fun in your jeep. i will try and find out the name of the trail on the parkway.

Trail name:

Ivestor Gap (Number: 101) 4.3 miles. This is the only trail considered to be easy in the wilderness area. Ivestor Gap is a relatively level trail that follows an old railroad grade around Black Balsam and Tennant Mountains. The trail passes through several bald areas or areas where only rhododendron, mountain laurel, and blueberries grow. The blueberries grow in abundance and are usually ripe around mid-August. Please note that horses are allowed on the trail, and it’s also open to four-wheel drive vehicles during the fall.

if i remember correctly it is at mile marker 420:D

i used to go up there when it would rain so i wouldnt have to deal with the hikers making rude comments.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys and conversations.

I used to ride Brown Mtn on a dirtbike and had forgotten it was open to 4wheels also, thanks. I've also been to Hurricane Creek, only once and also on a dirtbike (that one was tagged) and would like to know that area better. Seems there was some fun stuff the other side of I-40 too, up against the Smokies. Ivester Gap I've only hiked but would love to drive it. That leaves Caney Fork as the only one I've never been to. I had heard years ago that it was closed now to dirtbikes (my previous passion) so I wrote it off. Any links to maps or trailheads?

Goose

caney fork which is in Cullowhee, bigger and funner (imo) than hurricane creek.
there is also a place up on the blue ridge parkway that opens up for a little while every year that would be fun in your jeep. i will try and find out the name of the trail on the parkway.

Trail name:

Ivestor Gap (Number: 101) 4.3 miles. This is the only trail considered to be easy in the wilderness area. Ivestor Gap is a relatively level trail that follows an old railroad grade around Black Balsam and Tennant Mountains. The trail passes through several bald areas or areas where only rhododendron, mountain laurel, and blueberries grow. The blueberries grow in abundance and are usually ripe around mid-August. Please note that horses are allowed on the trail, and it’s also open to four-wheel drive vehicles during the fall.

if i remember correctly it is at mile marker 420:D

i used to go up there when it would rain so i wouldnt have to deal with the hikers making rude comments.

Hey, thanks for posting that. It looks like a pretty cool detour trail for when I am up on the BRP doing some hiking and sight seeing. I found a link with some pictures and it looks like people were camping at the end of the trail with a great view.

Ivestor Gap is a great trail. Been there a few times. Beautiful, and doable in a stock is rig. The camping is good as well. Great detour as you mentioned.

There is only one spot I can recall where you are pitched off camber and going down hill off a ledge. Gave me a pucker with a Toyota packed full of cooler, camping gear, and a load of fire wood!

The green man loves to write tickets up there so if anyone goes make sure you have your ducks in row.

no problem drkelly, it is definitly worth riding up there if you are in the area. awesome views.

frankenyoder......i remember the first time across that rock. i was like ooo-shit here we go, lol.
there was another spot like that on the backside of the mountain that was washed out, and you had to ride up on the bank to get across it.
there was also a small rockpile back there and some tank traps past that.

goodtimes, i need a street legal rig so i can ride some of these places again.

yoderboy, last time out there riding was probably 3 years ago and toward the end where the trail hooks a hard right and goes downhill (and I think Shining Rock wilderness starts) was the worst part. It was a steep side hill with a huge wash out on the lower side. Impassable unless you wanted to roll and winch out. I opted to tuck tail and turn around. I can imagine the green man watching a recovery while he filled out ticket after ticket.

As far as street legal I

The trail at Black Balsam (Shining Rock Wilderness) on the parkway is a fun little trail, when you get to the Shining Rock Wilderness sign TURN AROUND,DO NOT DRIVE ANY FURTHER it is a designated wilderness area and bicycles are not even suppose to go in there,its foot traffic only and you could loose your vehicle if you get caught.

Attachments

• 62806_155825657769501_8253633_n.jpg
    62806_155825657769501_8253633_n.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 424
  • 61947_155825054436228_7114410_n.jpg
    61947_155825054436228_7114410_n.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 414
  • 57964_155826077769459_5725177_n.jpg
    57964_155826077769459_5725177_n.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 575
I think you may mean Hurricane gap, if so I ride it all the time it is a great ride. Directions are if your going east on I-40 when you go through the second tunnel immediately take a left into the median (yes a left into the median), there is a gravel pull off with a paved road with a concrete ditch up the middle. Go up that road and it will bring you out on the other side of the interstate heading west. Drive about a quarter of a mile down the interstate and you will see a road sign on the right that says hurricane gap rd.. Great trail, great scenery, but I would stay out of the mud holes. A Lot of people go back there and get in them and the park rangers hate that and are trying to close that road down because of it, so if everyone would stay out of them and off the hill climbs maybe they will leave it alone.

If you can't go in the mud holes OR on the hill climbs, just stay on the interstate.

Back