Which axle to lock on a tow rig/logging road rig

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
I have a 96 2500 Ram that serves as my tow rig and my firewood getting rig on old logging roads. So with this said I want to lock either the front or rear to help me on the remote old login roads. Which one would you lock, the D60 front or the D80 rear? Detroit, ARB, or...?

I would do the rear. Sometimes if both rear tires are pulling, there is no need to shift into 4wd. If I had the money I would use an ARB so there were no adverse affects while towing, but there are numerous accounts of people towing with Detroit's with no issues or ill handling.

Duane

Back when I used to wheel my f250 tow rig it was on 37s with an arb in the front 60. With it locked I could get that heavy powerstroke up stuff and the rear ford limited slip did OK. The front end is so heavy and rear light that the rear wouldn't push the front over stuff that well.

I've since returned the d60 to open and put the arb in my wheeling rig. I did replace the ford limited slip with a trutrac after I had to rebuild the rear. Its awesome towing and around town but it becomes open if you pull a tire so you may want a full Detroit depending on the conditions of these logging roads.

My vote is arb for front if no disconnect or full Detroit front if it has an axle disconnect. I'm not sure how those dodge sixtys were set up. Especially if the rear has a factory limited slip

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

The rear has no factory limited slip and the front is a vacuum disconnect. So does the vac disco mean no ARB in the front?

I'm about to put a true trac in my D80 for the exact reason Duane stated. I use my 4wd all too often for the simplest situations.

You can run an arb either way. Ive had weird steering vibrations in curves and parking lots before with a full locker on a front that cant be disconnected which is why I prefer a full front locker with an axle or hub that can be disconnected. Ive seen people run full lockers on xjs with no disconnect though so there may have been other issues in my case. I just posted about running different lockers depending on disconnect or not in case you were looking to save a little money. If money is no object i'd definitely run an arb no matter where you put it (front or rear) just so there is no handling or drivability issues on a dd/tow rig.

I run a auto locker in the front of my xj and many of my friends do to w similar experiences. The only time its really noticeable is tight turns moving slow like inn a parking lot. Now this on a Jeep, i can imagine it could act very different if it was under the 1000lbs Cummins in my truck.

I have asked similar questions on some of the diesel forums, and came to one conclusion from the advise i have been given. Detroit if no towing. A good limited slip if towing. Supposedly a locker like a Detroit or lunchbox locker really acts funny when the extra load of a trailer is behind it going around turns and stuff.

So... I have been considering the option of that Auburn e-locker. Limited slip when off, full locker when on. + its simply 12v and it works or it don't. No air lines to chase leaks, soleniods to fail, compressors to plumb and wire.

Its just a thought as i personally don't have any experience w so take from it what u want. just thinkin out loud

Samsung SCH-I510 tapatalkin 2 u

If you've got a limited slip in the rear, lock the front. If not, lock the rear. With a jeep, the rear end typically handles 60-70% of the traction. With a truck, its more in the front, unless youve got a load of firewood or an ATV in the bed or something, but there are a lot of factors that play in to the weight distribution such as standard cab or ext, standard or long bed, V8, V10, or Cummins. If it were a standard cab, long bed Cummins, the front might be just as useful, but for most every other situation, I'd want to lock the rear.

As far as lockers, I've had air lockers in most every axle I've owned, but I'd really like to have an electric locker. It seems easier to repair and my vehicle already produces 12 volts, unlike pressurized air. OX lockers seem nice too.

And Rollincoal420 posted my thoughts on lockers while I was typing, haha.

I've definitely noticed that my K30 is quite nose heavy with the Cummins. Both axles are locked though. Detroit and a Lock Right. Simple and very effective.

If you put a detroit/etc in the back, it will burn off the rear tires super fast on a daily driver P/U. BTDT.

My 3rd gen Dodge has a torsen-type geared limited slip in the back, and it's awesome.

Looks like there is no e-locker for the D80, and ARBs are out of my price range. So now I am back to the drawing board since detroits seem to be out because of towing.

So, r u open now or do u have a limited slip unit? Don't know how they are inn the d80, but the ones in the ford axles that I'm familiar w, u can repack the clutch packs w another clutch disk and run less additive to make it bite harder.

Also consider an aftermarket lsd. One again, auburn is a big name in the limited slip category. Detroit make a gear type ls, and there's that torsion diff mentioned earlier. Ur not out off options just yet.

Also, u said 2500, so its a srw, u could always swap in a 14b. And r u sure its a d80 in a 2500? Not saying ur wrong, i just thought they wr dually axles:confused:

Samsung SCH-I510 tapatalkin 2 u

The rear is factory and completely open.

The rear is a D80, they only put it in the 2500 models behind the V10/Cummins extended cabs with the NV4500 I believe.

I will look into limited slips for it.

The rear is factory and completely open.

The rear is a D80, they only put it in the 2500 models behind the V10/Cummins extended cabs with the NV4500 I believe.

I will look into limited slips for it.

Detroit true trac. Gear type. No clutches to wear out. I've got one in my f250 rear and you saw it pull my trailer and rig IP the hill to the cabins in Harlan that year. :D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Back