Which years used Dodge is best?

All right, I've found a few 02 Dodge's and 00 Ford's in my price range. What's problematic on these 2?

Also, my neighbor is brewing Greisel, which one will tolorate this stuff the best? I'll jump in to it after I get one besides this 7.3 IDI I have now. I've been told the CTD doesn't like a lot of it.

Neither truck will tolerate it well!

The VP-44 is prone to low pressure and electronic failure, Its been used before, but not recomended!

The PSD uses a more complex fuel injection system , that has also show injector and HPOP failures running veggie!

Crap, back to the auto traders for awhile. Will they do the 50/50 (diesel/WVO) blend I here people talk about allright?

:popcorn:

I'll jump in on this too. I've been lurking around waiting on a diesel as a tow rig. Who would have thought my Ranger wouldn't tow my CJ?

I've been trying to pair power vs mileage on these trucks. I get folks talking about 22MPG on the highway and even have heard 30, but I'm just not sure I believe some of these boasts. What do you say?

22+ Is possible with the correct setup! These truck not only get great mileage but are very durable! In all honesty, As far as the most durable, easiest to work on truck a 1994-1998 (Not 1998.5) Are by far the easiest to work on and cheapest! Small modifications such as bumping the timing a bit and a little more fuel will show great fuel results.
If your not looking for an all out performance ride stay away from the auto's!
Remember 150,000+ is nothing on one of these trucks as long as its been taken care of. Probably nothing more than a turbo and clutch replacement would be needed. The only other problem area is the KDP (Killer dowl pin) that can fall and destroy the front cover and in some cases the block! It's a very simple repair if it is a concern!

Hmm, now only to find someone that is willing to sell it to me rather than trade it in!

i thought i heard somewhere about problems with the 94-98 diesel 5spds having an issue about "popping" out of gear while towing? Any Truth?
I do not own one and am only asking b/c in about a month I will be shopping for a 94-98 cummins as a tow rig/DD, and am trying to figure out exactly what would be best to look for. I'm not trying hijack your thread Scott, im just looking for the same info.

In my mind, I'm looking for a 94-98 2500 4wd 5spd extended cab long bed. I only plan on doing a few mods like intake and exhaust, the fuel plate mod (i think), gauges. This will be my DD, and my tow rig, for my jeep on the trailer. If I can get better than 13 mpg w/ just the truck, not towing, then I will be saving money by not driving the jeep as a DD anymore. You guys with experience with these trucks think this idea is reasonable, or should i not hope for that mileage?

Thats a very resonable theroy! It really depends on the driver!

NV4500's Did have a problem with the 5th gear nut working off! Theres quite a few fixes, with the best being a lock type nut, with allen screws to put tension on it!

Not a big fix, Easily done in the driveway! Its not as common of situation as the dowl pin's , It is still a issue!

"I'm not trying hijack your thread Scott, im just looking for the same info"

Fine with me, we're after the same information. When I buy I plan on doing the same thing, I just want to end up with something that doesn't require a ton of maintenance, is dependable, decent fuel mileage and repairs don't send you to the bank for a loan.

Now, the good thing this thread is for;

What is the dowl pin issue? and how can you tell if it needs it or what?

NV4500 5th gear thing - link with pics for this?

Most Likely if you own a 94-00 Truck, And notice a Oil leak or grinding noise at the front case thats the problem!
Some have been fixed but theres no real way to tell. Besides looking the fan nut and see if a air hammer's been on it!

In all reality the only way to tell if yours has been tabbed you would have to take the cover off! Some used a Drill bit and jig to go through the cover. Thats pretty noticible on the outside!

Just search for NV4500 5th gear! It'll give you all the information you would ever want and then some!

So, so far from this thread, minus the common NV4500 problem, going with a manual trans either way.

Dodge = more power; but lift pump, injector pump, dowl pin?

Ford 7.3 = no power; but no big problems?

Whatever I buy I'll drive for the next 8 years, that's how long I go between trades.

Ford 7.3 = no power; but no big problems...We havent talked about powerstrokes....Their a disaster.. I've had 6 in the shop in the past few weeks all with major issues.... Injectors....Glow Plugs, Broke Rockers, Leaking HPOP...the list goes on...

The 12v trucks are much more reliable... 12v Dodge's dont have ANY issues with lift pump or Injection pump ..Unless you do somthing really off the charts stupid and burn one up...Which I've failed to ever do :)
Dowl Pin is Super easy fix... All you need is the skills to weld which I see you have and a really long air hammer chisle and basic hand tools! NV4500 would also be a easy fix, You could weld it as well , The reason I never mentioned it, We wont do that in the shop. If we're going to do it , we're going to do it right!

Trust me...Stay away from a powerstroke! Those are the best of the powerstrokes (early 7.3) ! I'll work on em, But there major problems. I compare a 7.3 or 6.0 to a 6.5 Burb :)

No offense to anyone... But I'm just trying to help! A 7.3 wont last nearly as long and youll have 10times the problems!

Ford 7.3 = no power; but no big problems...We havent talked about powerstrokes....Their a disaster.. I've had 6 in the shop in the past few weeks all with major issues.... Injectors....Glow Plugs, Broke Rockers, Leaking HPOP...the list goes on...
The 12v trucks are much more reliable... 12v Dodge's dont have ANY issues with lift pump or Injection pump ..Unless you do somthing really off the charts stupid and burn one up...Which I've failed to ever do :)
Dowl Pin is Super easy fix... All you need is the skills to weld which I see you have and a really long air hammer chisle and basic hand tools! NV4500 would also be a easy fix, You could weld it as well , The reason I never mentioned it, We wont do that in the shop. If we're going to do it , we're going to do it right!
Trust me...Stay away from a powerstroke! Those are the best of the powerstrokes (early 7.3) ! I'll work on em, But there major problems. I compare a 7.3 or 6.0 to a 6.5 Burb :)
No offense to anyone... But I'm just trying to help! A 7.3 wont last nearly as long and youll have 10times the problems!
X2, we won't buy powerstrokes anymore for the crews to use at my work cause of the lonnnnnng list of problems. We still have several mid 90s-99 7.3 that have served well compared to the newer pwrjokes. The techs are always putting glow plugs or injectors in the newer ones and the 6.0 pwrjokes run about 9000 between injectors, plugs, and turbo replacements.
Lucas it right and knows his stuff buy a 12V with a manual if you don't plan on hotrodding it, good luck finding one. Get a 24V and plan on upgrading the lift pump and drive the :poop: out it or get a 24V auto and plan on lift pump, and tc/vb upgrades and then lay the pwr to it for fun and giggles.

Back