Who tows with a V-10 Excursion (or V-10 truck) Need input before I buy.

gmcjimmy88

I am looking into getting out of my '05 GMC 2500HD ext cab long bed. I love the truck but could use some extra seats. Anyway, I have been trying to find a 2500 Suburban or a deisel excursion(2004 or newer). Either of the two are hard to come by. I seen a V-10 excursion this weekend but the place was losed so going back this afternoon. What should I look for on this? Are there years, motors, trans, or anything I should be looking for or trying to avoid? It is a 4WD and basically fully loaded. I crawled around it a little bit and the underside looks pretty clean. You see where they painted the wheel well to "clean it up" some bhut other than that it looks good. Not sure of the year though. Anyhelp would be great thanks.

SprayPaintMan may jump in on this, he has the V-10 Excursion and I think he gets maybe 12ish mpg around town? Might be less, certainly less towing.

But the gassers are also "cheap" since bad MPG, but a dealer will stick it to ya anyway, if you can, buy something from a private party, sell yours outright, etc.

I had the diesel Excursion, worked great for me, towed like a CHAMP, lots of room, I got rid of it since I can actually drive my Jeep now and my camper stays at the beach/not towing it back forth all the time.

For the 3rd row option, I like the Ex...3/4 ton Suburbans are harder to find, but also nice if your a bowtie kinda guy.

Sam

Yep, it tows good but it's a gas guzzler. 12 around town a little more on the highway. 7-9 when towing the jeep and trailer. It also has the 4.30 gears from the factory. 44 gal tank...

Very nice vehicle though. I drive it every day and really like it.

:beer:

I too tow with a 2002 Excursion with a V-10, drives great around town about 12mpg and 6-8mpg towing about 6k behind me and the X loaded down with camping stuff. I love the ride and the room. I am going to do something in the back end, it sinks a lot with it fully loaded and the jeep behind me.

Only other thing is not much power going up hills...321 N between Lenoir and Blowing Rock drags me down to about 30 MPH. On 77 or 421 I can tow at 70-80 MPH no problem.

Man I would definitely get a diesel Excursion. I have one and love it. We actually pull the third row out and fit a full size air mattress. I get right at 17 in town or on the highway. I don't remember what towing was. I had a chip in it but the wife kept burning the tires off so I took it out. Oh yeah mine is an 01 though.

the v10's have good service history from what i have heard as long as its serviced regularly. you never know with those dealer cars.

Speaking of which, did the Dodge survive ?

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will wait for a deisel or try to find a heavy duty van with a mild conversion (basically upgraded seats LOL).

I looked for one when I was buying an X and wasn't successful. Since then I have talked to folks and there seem to be a lot of them in Texas. Check out ebay or other sites that can get you ads from that area.

Back