Whst type of tubing ...

marty79

Just scored some 1⅝OD x 1⅛ID x ¼wall Seamless tubing but how do I know what it is. Thanks for the help
20220419_142523.jpg

marty79

You don't, unless you have a spectrometer. Can you see the cold drawn spiral down the outside of it? Most likely a513
ok i guess makes sense. Either way, since it is seamless is it safe to say the quality of it is like DOM or equivalent?
I've gotta clean it up obviously, so i need to be looking for spirals...any other indicators? This stuff comes from industrial fabrication shops so I'm assuming it's gotta be pretty hefty stuff, like most steel I get from the guy

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
ok i guess makes sense. Either way, since it is seamless is it safe to say the quality of it is like DOM or equivalent?
I've gotta clean it up obviously, so i need to be looking for spirals...any other indicators? This stuff comes from industrial fabrication shops so I'm assuming it's gotta be pretty hefty stuff, like most steel I get from the guy

If it’s from an industrial fabrication shop, it’s probably handrail pipe, which is 1 1/4” pipe that has a 1.66” OD, very close to 1 5/8” if measured with a tape measure. Junk for most of what we do.

WARRIORWELDING

Owner opperator Of WarriorWelding LLC.
Traditional grinder spark color test, file harness test, maybe a machinist with a Rockwell tester, is it magnetic and so on. If it is from a normal source ask the source? In the amount and due to much higher cost for anything special chances are its no crazy alloyed element.

If your really worried send a small chunk to a lab.

Bebop

Perfect to use as rock siders or similar if you build the rest out of 1.5" DOM.