Why not an 85 Grand Wagoneer?

MattRRT

For some reason I decided I don't have enough projects (1902 House, 77 CJ5, 86 K10, 87 Mustang) and picked up this OK condition 1985 Grand Wagoneer that had been in the same family since new. Albeit with decaying condition in recent years.

158,000 on the dash, 360 with factory AC (underhood parts gone, interior parts there as far as I can tell right now) PW, PL, PS.

The engine:
- 360 w/HEadman Headers, Edelbrock 4bbl intake and 600cfm carb
- Belts were all loose, tightened everything up and it runs smooth.
- Takes a good 30 seconds to build oil pressure.
- Oil leaks, lots of it showing on the front of the engine.
- Exhaust leaks (header bolts were finger tight) so I am waiting on new gaskets to see if I can quiet it down before I drag it to an exhaust shop.
- Ignition box has a line of tar running down the inner fender
- New starter.

Exhaust:
- Leaks bad, gasket clearly blown out, bolts were finger tight
- No gasket/donut at the header to exhaust pipes
- Blown holes at the hanger locations

The transmission:
- Shifted ok test drive.

The body:
- Pretty solid but faded
- Rusty passenger rockers
- Rusty floor pan in the back at the corner of the door and seats
- Couple holes in cargo area floor
- Passenger side dented
- Little but of driver door sag
- Weatherstripping shot everywhere but rear windows

I'll know more once I get the seats and carpet out and start intervening on the rust progression.

The interior:
- Carpet shot, and wet
- Front windows don't work, passenger one pushes up and down by hand
- Electrical wires everywhere, missing relays and rusty relays.
- Few house wire nuts and way too many scotch locks
- No headliner
- Door cards rough

The rear:
- Back glass is stuck down
- Tailgate is stuck on the passenger side
- Missing the "chrome" trim around the back window

For the money I think I did ok. It will be a rolling restoration.

The questions:
- Do I switch to HEI?
- What weather strip package do you guys recommend? Piece it together or buy individually?
- Will I be able to find the heat/AC parts?
- Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated as we just wanna drive it as we fix it up
- Advice on the tailgate?

tempImagea1AKnl.png
tempImage2pYzPb.png
tempImageluMJQ6.pngtempImageg8E9t0.pngtempImageNSGrI0.pngtempImagewQPx9x.pngtempImagex85YV8.pngtempImageltDRQM.pngtempImagexZrhjn.pngtempImageCKufiT.png

Attachments

• tempImageyiqphj.png
    tempImageyiqphj.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
God bless you man, My grandfather have at least half a dozen of these through his life. He had a house at Carolina Beach and I can remember him driving all over the north end and Fort Fisher and NEVER getting stuck in the sand. This was in the Seventies and Eighties, not till later did I realize the bald tires and almost flat tires were the reason for this. Have a lot of great memories with him in the old Waggy as he called it, RIP pops.

God bless you man, My grandfather have at least half a dozen of these through his life. He had a house at Carolina Beach and I can remember him driving all over the north end and Fort Fisher and NEVER getting stuck in the sand. This was in the Seventies and Eighties, not till later did I realize the bald tires and almost flat tires were the reason for this. Have a lot of great memories with him in the old Waggy as he called it, RIP pops.
I am considering lifting it for beach and light off roading to kayak spots.

Back