Why trailer weight distribution is so important, in 27 secs

Awesome illustration. This is also proof you shouldn't tow with a mustang.

I had the scare of my life when I loaded up trailer and took off for Harlan. I had way too much tongue weight. My 2500 suburban has 3/4" bottom leaf spring in rear which will not bend. Result was less weight on front tires. A whole lot less weight and combined with wet road I couldn't stop. After two almost accidents I shifted trailer weight. I now weigh tongue after loading and mark location of heavy items on trailer for ease in reloading.

I have a friend who is getting older and is selling his Harley and buying a 25' camper. He was questioning how well his Grand Cherokee with the 3.7 and no tow package would handle it. As always I said it will pull it but worry more about stopping and stability in general. I saw this video on FB and posted on his thread and boy did I get a argument about how he had a weight distribution hitch, trailer brakes, etc., bla, bla bla. He will be at the GC towing limit and I told him just wait, you'll find out and I hope it works out okay for you when it does happen.

He'll be ok...until a big semi passes him. On a narrow bridge. In the rain.

He'll be ok...until a big semi passes him. On a narrow bridge. In the rain.
My reply was "Just wait until you are coming out from TN on I40 right before the tunnels, in high wind, Tractor Trailer beside you and some idiot decides to hit the brakes in front of you."

...and that WILL happen, sooner or later.

actually seen a truck this week with a weight dial built into the hitch, was pretty neat

I have a friend who is getting older and is selling his Harley and buying a 25' camper. He was questioning how well his Grand Cherokee with the 3.7 and no tow package would handle it. As always I said it will pull it but worry more about stopping and stability in general. I saw this video on FB and posted on his thread and boy did I get a argument about how he had a weight distribution hitch, trailer brakes, etc., bla, bla bla. He will be at the GC towing limit and I told him just wait, you'll find out and I hope it works out okay for you when it does happen.
I've always thought the GC tow rating was inflated. Something like 5500-6000#!

actually seen a truck this week with a weight dial built into the hitch, was pretty neat
www.weigh-safe.com
$250-300 depending on drop, ball size, etc
Doesnt seem too bad if you need a drop hitch and ball(s), but is a lot of unnecessary dough for most of us who already have all that stuff.

Back