wider wheels w/ same backspacing

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
This goes along w/ the other post here, got me thinkin' but I din't want to hijack.
'89 4Runner. I recently replaced my stock tires/wheels w/ some 31s that came on Chevy wheels, pretty sure they're 10" (tires are 10.5"). Appears the backspacing is the same as the stock Toys, so basically they just stick out a few inches more. You can see it but it dosn't look too goofy.

Anyway, now i'm wondeirng, is this a problem? Basically the tires are just wider, inside not farther in, just outside farther out - so technically the center is just a little farther out, I don't know what the stock width is but I'd guess ~8.5" or so? Will this be hard on the ball joints etc?

In a perfect world you want the wheel mounting surface centered on the tire, that being said an thrown out the window I have done a many of bearings mind you, if the rite preload is set on the bearings and everything is kept cleaned and greased after being in water or mud, i personally have never seen a failure to a couple of " of off center wheel mounting.

the toy IFS is pretty stout, lots of guys in daily drivers running 37" tires on it without problem. tearing up a yota on 31" tires is pretty hard to do

Thanks. Its not the 31" that I'm worried about, it's the off-centered nature of the mount.
Biggest prob the 31s give me is boggy gearing w/ the stupid auto tranny and stock gears.

Back