WiFi on the go?

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
Looking for any input here. Is there a way to get internet access in remote locations without using your cell phone as a hotspot? I am thinking like is there a dish you can buy and subscribe to a service and take the dish with you everywhere you go to give you internet access.

Looking for any input here. Is there a way to get internet access in remote locations without using your cell phone as a hotspot? I am thinking like is there a dish you can buy and subscribe to a service and take the dish with you everywhere you go to give you internet access.
Moving (semi) off the grid?

It sounds like you're describing a portable satalite (e.g. Dish Network) setup. It exists, but why? Really only necessary if you're in a place a cell signal worn't work.

E.g.
Portable Internet Guide | SatelliteInternet.com

do you need a shitpile of bandwidth? Thats the only real advantage to a dedicated device like a Jetpack, it might be able to put out more throughput than your phone, depending on the phone. If it's just a couple of folks, then there's no real advantage. You just need the right data plan for the phone. You'll have to pay for an extra data plan for the extra device anyway.

It sounds like you're describing a portable satalite (e.g. Dish Network) setup. It exists, but why? Really only necessary if you're in a place a cell signal worn't work.

E.g.
Portable Internet Guide | SatelliteInternet.com

do you need a shitpile of bandwidth? Thats the only real advantage to a dedicated device like a Jetpack, it might be able to put out more throughput than your phone, depending on the phone. If it's just a couple of folks, then there's no real advantage. You just need the right data plan for the phone. You'll have to pay for an extra data plan for the extra device anyway.

I am specifically thinking about places with spotty/weak/no cell signal.

Back in the ECORS days, we used USB cellular dongles with roof mounted antennas.

It's that or satellite, but starlink isn't publicly available yet.

You can do this with a satellite dish, but if you have a cell signal you will be much better off with a jetpack. We went all the way to Moab and back with Sara "working from home" in the passenger seat of the dually and it did great.

That is very good to know.

If you get a booster and a good antenna, there aren't many places left in the States that there is no cell signal.
There definitely are, don't get me wrong, but it won't be common.

Really its a question of "how much is this full mobile freedom worth to you?"

If you get a booster and a good antenna, there aren't many places left in the States that there is no cell signal.
There definitely are, don't get me wrong, but it won't be common.

We only had intermittent cell service for the five days we were in Montana. It was generally okay along I-90. There was SMS elsewhere, but data and voice weren't reliable. Same in Wyoming.

Back