Window tint fee on NC inspection

RenegadeT

no shirt,no shoes,no dice
I just got our 2013 minivan inspected for the first time, they charged me $40 total, $10 of that was WINDOW TINT. This van has the factory tint, nothing too dark. Wtf is that all about, I never heard of it, don't think I've ever been assessed that fee.

I have not seen where they charge to inspect factory tint, we just got a Toyota with factory tint on it that looks pretty dark. There is a legitimate $10 charge for aftermarket window tint and I do not know how you could prove it was not added to (put another layer over factory) or was not aftermarket??

I though window tint only mattered if it was on the front door windows or windshield? And the factory doesn't put it there. Isn't most factory tint 20% and would be illegal on front windows anyway, and if they tested factory tint it would fail the 32% limit

Apparently the state has recently decided to start cracking down on tint violations, recently got a grant and gave out tint meters to public safety all over and has told inspection stations to start actually checking tint. Another awesome waste of resources and our money, but they have been pulling people and giving tint tickets here just recently.

Apparently the state has recently decided to start cracking down on tint violations, recently got a grant and gave out tint meters to public safety all over and has told inspection stations to start actually checking tint. Another awesome waste of resources and our money, but they have been pulling people and giving tint tickets here just recently.
I haven't heard this or heard of anyone getting a meter. Guess Cabarrus county and the SHP was left out of that grant. Most troopers that have a meter bought it themselves. I don't care that much to spend my own money on one.

Our corolla has factory tint on all 5 windows. I also work at a shop that does inspections (and am licenced) and haven't heard of any crackdowns we just ask the customer if it has aftermarket tint on drivers windows if it looks like it does and then charge if we have to check it.

I have 3 vehicles that have tinted windows. I used the same place to inspect all of them and was never charged a tint fee. That was until two years ago. I questioned the guy and he said since my inspection wasn't an emissions inspection I was getting off cheap. He said next time I might not charge you. I told him he was correct, I told him he would never inspect any of my fucking vechiles again. And he has not.

well, the shop I have my inspections done at checked my car for tint, and listed it on the inspection, but didn't charge me?? They did, however get a violation and i think a suspension on the license a year or two ago due to an undercover sting involving tint and an inop MIL

It's the discretion of the shop if they charge you for the tint or not, but it's only supposed to be for the windows to the left and right of the driver. Read the big poster that's posted in most, if not all, inspection stations about what they check.

It's also the discretion of the shop if they charge you for the inspection at all, the state only mandates $6.50, but allows up to $30, or $40 with tint. This is why auto mechanics lobby their representatives every time something comes up about getting rid of inspections.

I know the look on the inspectors face is pretty priceless when I stripped the window tint off driver and passenger window in the inspection bay with his sticker scraper on my old 85 4Runner. $10 to shine a light thru the glass and tell me it's ok, fawk THAT !

and have since made various friendships with inspectors and stations thru the years, If I have to pay someone to perform a ridiculous ritual on my vehicles, I may as well pay someone I trust and would rather support.

I've never heard of anyone getting charged for factory tint and I'll be damned if I would have paid for it. The tint on the back of most mini vans is pretty dark anyway. I'd go back and make it a point to the place and ask them why they charged you. If it came on the car then they're in the wrong.

My truck has a very light factory tint and they've never said anything about it.

Never been charged for factory tint. I just ran the burb through a week ago and it's dark. However, my ex AZ limo tint raised flags when I had it inspected the first time. They charged me and failed me. Pissed me off. That was 15 years ago.

Back