Windows does it again...

hobie

Sub-par
Hey windows folks... Disable any image viewing on email, and keep to well known sites. There is a major hole in Windows that can allow people to take control of your PC via commands embedded in images. The cause is badly designed code from early versions of windows although it is only really a concern in XP and Windows 2003.

My source (and their sources)

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/archive-122005.html (the first 5 entries)

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/archive-012006.html#00000764

-- Linux is not affected...
J

And for some reason, our IT "director" doesn't feel the unofficial patch has enough "industry approval" (IOW, he's afraid *IT* may also be a bug) to warrant installing it... SO, here I sit waiting for the crash of the century! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyone loaded & tested the un-offical patch yet?

No, virus programmers used to be kids screwing around looking for fun, now they're generally criminals looking for PC's to own and use as a screen for their own purposes (ddos, hacking bigger systems, etc).

-- Glad to be a coder and not an admin...
J

Ridgerunner said:
Take Deep Breaths Jason. Hey it is Job security :)

Seriously, if there was no windows, IT people would be fewer and farther between. People bitch at me about how bad windows sucks and how can I use it at home since im an admin at work. I tell them, as long as Gates puts out shitty software I have job security. Yea it sucks having to put up with blue screens, virus's etc etc, but it pays well and feeds the familiy. Personaly I hate spammers, virus writers, bad coders.... i wish there was a special place in hell for those fools... but hey, they keep me working and my familiy happy... I understand the frustration, but I also understand a roof over my head and food on the table....

What we did was we pushed out a packaged to all our workstations that would disable the preview and viewing of picture thumbnails, and we disassociated all the image file formats from a viewer so they would user intervention to view the image.

Back