Wiper blades part of inspection process?

Fabrik8

Overcomplicator
So I've got a friend who has a truck at a dealer for inspection. The blades were replaced (by him) 3 months ago, and the dealer says it won't pass because the blades are "old".

We know this is bullshit and a service scam, very clearly.

Is wiper inspection actually part of the inspection process?

yes, if there is the slightest tear or separation of rubber from wiper frame a OCD tech will fail it.

Never heard of that before. Regardless, whoever at service failed it couldn't give any reason other than "old". Not "torn", or "separated", or "worn", just "old". I'm fully interpreting that as "we didn't install them, so you need new ones after 3 months".

The law says if you have a windshield you have to have functional windshield wipers.

Seems to me that the solution is to remove the windshield.

Never heard of that before. Regardless, whoever at service failed it couldn't give any reason other than "old". Not "torn", or "separated", or "worn", just "old". I'm fully interpreting that as "we didn't install them, so you need new ones after 3 months".
yup, old is not a good reason for failure. has to show tear, cracks or visable failure. not his opinion.

Call and complain to the inspection dmv guys. If they failed it with wipers that are functional and do no streak - they did not perform a proper inspection! I bet they didn't log it in as a fail... Which would cover their ass in the case of you calling. But yes wipers must be 100% functional if you have a windshield. And fyi, cracked windshield is not necessarily a fail. Last time I took the course (2008/2009?)- if it catches a card on the crack, it'll cut the wiper. Cracked window is failed under windshield wipers. Doesn't matter where or how big - just if it can catch a card edge, it'll cut a wiper. (Inspection line item is wipers - not windshield)

Yup, same here. I've been told I had to replace my wipers to pass because they streaked the windshield. But I'll admit I was guilty as charged, as my wipers at that point were probably a couple years old. But I think in your case, the inspector was being a douche.

Push back on the service manager and raise hell.

Wipers are part of the inspection but if they have been replaced recently it’s a scam.

I had my wife’s car fail inspection due to tire wear. I measured them before and knew they were in spec. They “failed”. I went back and said they were giving a passed I spectiom or I was probably ending up in jail. Lol

I printed off the state statutes and asked them to prove their failure. They couldn’t. They passed it and we moved on. Press them with back up and you will be fine.

As long as were here; Getting a service done on my 5+ year old Chevy truck, I also had the GM Dealership install new GM wipers. They Still streak! Just don't squeak as much. lol

As long as were here; Getting a service done on my 5+ year old Chevy truck, I also had the GM Dealership install new GM wipers. They Still streak! Just don't squeak as much. lol
maybe try the silicon wipers next time. I have them om my ram and they are great. Put them on wifey's Tucson also.

Back