Wireless Phone Charging

Croatan_Kid

How's your hammer hangin'?
I figured I'd ask here because some of yall are tech nerds and know lots of stuff, where to buy, and what to buy.

So, I was looking at the center console lid in my truck and thinking that it'd be really cool to have a 3 coil, wireless phone charger. I'm not the first person to think of it. However, I just need some suggestions of what to buy and where to buy. I figured I'd wire it up to a keyed 12 volt source so it's not always on and maybe even put it on a switch so I can turn it off, if need be.

The plan is to epoxy/glue it to the bottom of the console lid so it's hidden. I've seen many options that will charge with up to a 6mm gap between the phone and power source. I'd also like a 15 or 10 watt charger so it doesn't take forever. Ideally, I'd have room for two phones, but the flat surface of the center console limits it to one phone. Oh well. At least nobody with a newer phone will have to ask if I have whatever charging cord they need!

What suggestions do you guys have for me? Btw, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S20.

Use strips of foam adhesive tape to mount it, or small amounts of a flexible adhesive (urethane, silicone, 3M 5200, etc). The charger and the console plastic will expand/contract at different rates. ABS and the other types of plastic expand a lot when hot, and something like epoxy could break the charger or crack the console if one part is constraining the other during expansion, etc. Need some relative motion ability.

That's my only suggestion, I know nothing about the chargers.

I was planning to use the foam type of double sided tape. One I found comes with it already on it and it intended to be mounted underneath something kinda like what I'm doing. I also found another hidden mount that will charge through a table up to an inch thick...pretty impressive.

Cecil county is quite literally the armpit of Maryland (Seriously look at a map, the bay makes an arm...).
This doesn't help the reputation

Video here

Cecil county is quite literally the armpit of Maryland (Seriously look at a map, the bay makes an arm...).
This doesn't help the reputation

Video here

That might be the best thing I'll see on the internet this year, but why is it in this thread?

I was going to ask the same thing....

That might be the best thing I'll see on the internet this year, but why is it in this thread?
Because (1) I was in the middle of something else when I posted it and apparently clicked the wrong thread on my phone wo realizing it and
(2) I'm retarded.

I was planning to use the foam type of double sided tape. One I found comes with it already on it and it intended to be mounted underneath something kinda like what I'm doing. I also found another hidden mount that will charge through a table up to an inch thick...pretty impressive.
I would probly support the charge from underneath. Attach it to a strap/ plate and attach that to the underside of the lid.

The newer vehicles have this wireless charger stock on the console lid. Maybe find one and adapt it?
Do you happen to know which ones? Interested in adapting similar to the Jeep.

i know my wife’s ‘17 Yukon Denali has one as id expect similar GM vehicles to as well. Not sure about any others.
Yeah, my sister in law's 2015 or 2016 suburban has it, but my loaded 2015 sierra does not. Console looks identical though.

I would probly support the charge from underneath. Attach it to a strap/ plate and attach that to the underside of the lid.

The console lid is 2 pieces. If I can get it apart without destroying it, it'll be totally inside the lid and the only thing you'll (barely) see is the wires when you open the lid. I'll stick it to the bottom side and hopefully the distance between the two pieces will allow me to either adhere it to the bottom as well OR stick small pieces of rigid foam (or something) under it to keel it supported and held in place as best I can. I'll have to dive in to it, almost literally, to think of my options.

The newer vehicles have this wireless charger stock on the console lid. Maybe find one and adapt it?

I would, and you can get them, but the charger is inside the rubber pad that sits in that molded area of the console lid, at least on the aftermarket ones. The factory modules aren't terribly expensive, but I'm willing to bet they're controlled through some sort of BCM or other module that would make it difficult to wire up simply. I AM going to see if anyone has done it yet since you mentioned it though.

That being said, if I had the flip down, jump seat style console, I've seen a handful of places that sell replacement lids (most of them are broken by now anyway) and they have the charger setup in them. You just die/paint the lid, replace it, and wire it up. Mine has the side open lid though. My idea is to add it all incognito like where nobody would know and sorta bring that new school to the old original High Country/Denali truck from 2002 :D

Going to read up on the factory charging modules now!

BTW, here are the two I've looked at pretty closely thus far.

I may pick up one from the second link for the house anyway. It'll charge through a 1" surface. That's pretty freaking awesome. My end tables and night stand would love one of those rigs!

Back