Wiring factory horns to a push button

Keith1138

The clock spring in my jeep is broken. Of course the horn button in the wheel does not work. In the future I want to go to a removable steering wheel. I need advice on how to properly wire the factory horns to a switch for inspection. The factory horns are one wire horns.

I have found numerous diagrams on the inner webs.

I know using a relay is probably the best route. Attached is two diagrams i have found online the conflicting part is one uses a 4 prong relay the other uses a three.

Is it as simple as running a hot fused wire to the relay then one from their to the horns then another to the switch. Then ground the switch?
f1bd5e2a705ccdcae13a978f7d5d1e7b.jpg
627158c1e1c2830c53705a9c3937fa59.jpg

Should just be able to tap into the switched hot side of the current relay. Would need to find the wire though.

Should just be able to tap into the switched hot side of the current relay. Would need to find the wire though.
That was my first idea but I think it might be easier to just make a new harness rather than digging through the factory one trying to find the horn wire.

What's a relay? Really, about the only one I ever used, is when I had an electric radiator fan. Most horns ground themselves, or I thought they did. Hot wire from fuse box, or some accessory to a universal horn button, & the other side of the button, continue the hot wire to the horn, or horn wire. All the button is doing is completing the circuit.

What's a relay? Really, about the only one I ever used, is when I had an electric radiator fan. Most horns ground themselves, or I thought they did. Hot wire from fuse box, or some accessory to a universal horn button, & the other side of the button, continue the hot wire to the horn, or horn wire. All the button is doing is completing the circuit.

See the 20A fuse on the schematic? That's why running the horn current through a simple switch is not a good idea. Horns can draw amps or tens of amps depending on the horn design (and there's two of them). That's why there is a relay, because then the switch just has to control the 100mA (or whatever) of coil current.

There's already a relay there, the power circuit can be left completely unmodified, and the only circuit modification is substituting one switch for another switch with a single wire. You can't get much simpler than that.

OR1PhHhP1ioPJhd-VL85BCqYs3h1GpQ-Is2xbZ6DTBiv0wKw7J5tKsYvIXw4AkiLjQ02CTetJbByl0iRHPMPtKxN-foe5_dUVQQNy9yxOTOBqJWFPJUTqaZm0GT0wRm5vcsdafwC0JMQWRujCB2KHbzyxgIDNWU2NIc

So the red/yellow one coming out of the steering wheel?
Find your horn relay in the under hood fuse panel (PDC) locate the red/yellow wire, run it to a switch, and the other side of the switch to ground. Most horn circuits use a ground contact in the steering wheel.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tell me if this is correct. I just need a monetary 2 prong switch. One prong with be tied in to the existing wire and the other will just go to a ground. Then bam I have horns

Tell me if this is correct. I just need a monetary 2 prong switch. One prong with be tied in to the existing wire and the other will just go to a ground. Then bam I have horns

This monetary switch, does it make money or cost money every time you use it?

Duane

Well the wire on a 2000 jeep cherokee is not yellow/red. It is the black with a red stripe going into the tan connector that also houses the cruise control.

Well the push button switch I order from amazon is some Chinese garbage. The prongs on the back are extremely tinny and the switch doesn't seem to function. So now I am considering using a rocker switch accompanied with the vent switch pannel.

My question is can I wire this momentary rocker switch according to this diagram. I feel like this switch is designed to send out power and not complete the circuit by grounding. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210228-175925_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210228-175925_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 174
I'm gonna bring this one back up. My horn is working intermittently. I lucked out today when I got it inspected that it worked on the way into the garage. But then it didn't work when they backed it out. Cruise control also only works intermittently. I tried to do a little diagnostic on my own and do not hear the relay going clickety click when you push the horn button. There's also no power getting to the horn fuse.
My question....is that enough to say the clock spring is bad or going bad? If not, how do I go about figuring out if it's the clock spring or something else down the line?

I know I could just throw in a stand alone horn switch, but would like to have things working as they should, especially cruise control. Where do I start? 2007 JKU.

I'm gonna bring this one back up. My horn is working intermittently. I lucked out today when I got it inspected that it worked on the way into the garage. But then it didn't work when they backed it out. Cruise control also only works intermittently. I tried to do a little diagnostic on my own and do not hear the relay going clickety click when you push the horn button. There's also no power getting to the horn fuse.
My question....is that enough to say the clock spring is bad or going bad? If not, how do I go about figuring out if it's the clock spring or something else down the line?

I know I could just throw in a stand alone horn switch, but would like to have things working as they should, especially cruise control. Where do I start? 2007 JKU.

With no power to the fuse, I would say look at what leads to that as I believe that part would be hot all the time. I could be wrong though.

With no power to the fuse, I would say look at what leads to that as I believe that part would be hot all the time. I could be wrong though.
I agree with Philip. You should be able to find a wiring diagram for the horn and cruise control online. This will allow you to see where the power is coming from. This will also tell you if the fuse you are referring to is constantly hot or only hot when the horn is activated.

I agree with Philip. You should be able to find a wiring diagram for the horn and cruise control online. This will allow you to see where the power is coming from. This will also tell you if the fuse you are referring to is constantly hot or only hot when the horn is activated.
Watched a youtube video and a guy had a super cool gadget for diagnosing things. Basically he was able to make the horn honk repeatedly through the OBD II port while he tested things. Long story short, that fuse is hot only when the horn is activated. I believe that means it's after the relay, right? And the relay not clicking means the relay isn't getting a signal. Which is what leads to believe bad clock spring. But it could be a bad relay too, right?

Back