WJ Axle Swap

NickMaul

I have a stock 4.0 99 WJ with the famous Dana 35. I recently replaced the motor and had the trans serviced at 190k. I need to change axle oil so I’ll take a peak at the spider gears and see if there is any significant movement in the bearings.

That being said I don’t have much faith in the 35 before it craps out from daily driving. I hear the 44a isn’t that great. The 8.8 is pretty damn narrow.

Is there a trend of throwing in a jk44 rear axle? One popped up with 3.73 gears for a song. Welding new brackets doesn’t bother me. Probably need to put spacers on the front. Wouldn’t mind keeping my eyes open for a jk30.

What does NC4x4 think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really a trend since most wj owners are mall crawlers or soccer moms. I'd swap in jk44 in a heartbeat, should on be 1.5-2" wider than the front.

I have a stock 4.0 99 WJ with the famous Dana 35. I recently replaced the motor and had the trans serviced at 190k. I need to change axle oil so I’ll take a peak at the spider gears and see if there is any significant movement in the bearings.

That being said I don’t have much faith in the 35 before it craps out from daily driving. I hear the 44a isn’t that great. The 8.8 is pretty damn narrow.

Is there a trend of throwing in a jk44 rear axle? One popped up with 3.73 gears for a song. Welding new brackets doesn’t bother me. Probably need to put spacers on the front. Wouldn’t mind keeping my eyes open for a jk30.

What does NC4x4 think?

Do it.

I wouldn't even waste the money for an oil change in a d35.

Believe it or not the 44a is a good axle, especially for DD use. My vote would be find a cheap one, change the gear oil, and start saving for a tow rig for that big boy XJ on tons :)

WJ D44a use/can use JK 44 gears, which is a plus. Also, they don't utilize c clips to hold in the shafts. Same Set 10 bearings and seals as a JK 44.
Most of the 99-01 D44a have incorrect preload on the carrier bearings. Plan on replacing them. Aside from that, they're not troublesome at all

WJ D44a use/can use JK 44 gears, which is a plus. Also, they don't utilize c clips to hold in the shafts. Same Set 10 bearings and seals as a JK 44.
Most of the 99-01 D44a have incorrect preload on the carrier bearings. Plan on replacing them. Aside from that, they're not troublesome at all

From factory was the traction device they put in those any good?

I was going to post about Andy liking them but I see the axle god @Jody Treadway commented.... Ironman has some really sweet products for the WJ.......

Back