Wolf Den Trail Trail work done thread.

krzyabncanuck

BLM HOTSHOT
I will go ahead and start a post showing work done out there on the trails. This is just got Wolf Den and all the other trails will get their own thread also to show what was done / why it was done / and if someone comes across a new issue out there wheeling to be able to post up here as to what issues they found out there on each trail. I wish I had more pics from the past few years but I clean out my phone every once in awhile so I have only these few.

This trail is sponsored by Olde North State Cruisers and UNCC 4x4. I am the rep for ONSC on this trail.

Last edited:
So to begin with I will start with the beginning of the trail.

It was having serious issues at the start of the trail with water ruining down from the main road down into the trail and forming a big lake that the USFS did not want there and we were spending too much time digging a drain ditch out for it. So I came up with an idea to put a water bar bat the beginning of the trail and the USFS agreed with that so we first dug it by hand and then the contractor just made it bigger / better.
uploadfromtaptalk1398633706714.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398633731957.jpg
These were from us digging by hand and below is from what the contractor did.
uploadfromtaptalk1398633827175.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398633863416.jpg

Now we go into our creek crossing. It is a sore subject for me as I am a firm believer that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

So we started out with a log bridge which the FS wanted taken out and put rocks into instead. I though they were onto something so we did it. Well, it backfired and made it worse. I do not have pics of the log bridge but do of the rock idea.
uploadfromtaptalk1398634117678.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398634140093.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398634168370.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398634195852.jpg

As you can see it made a creek down our trail and this was before our trail was even open for use this year.

So, I had an idea to build the rocks up on the side and put some wood back over it as a bridge but we had no cable to secure it so I knew it was a temp fix.
uploadfromtaptalk1398634377015.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398634403763.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398634427796.jpg

All was well til the trail opened up and it was tore up pretty bad in a short amount of time. I then figured we had to make it dummy proof. I thought if we build up the sides really high it would be fine til we can get someone out there to tell us how big of a drainage pipe we need.
uploadfromtaptalk1398634604295.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398634626082.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398634652469.jpg

This I'd how it is as of yesterday. We shall see how long this lasts.

I have no before pics still on my phone of the next election but if you have been down this trail in the last year you know what I am talking about. It was the one water bar from heck. If it was slick you were not making it on your own unless you went into the woodline to the camping site in the middle of the trail at the turn. I know of dome serious body damage done there last year.9,000 on one vehicle alone. Not mine BTW. I tried my hand fixing it with the loader and it was good for a few weeks but back to nasty again soon enough. I had the FS get with the contractor this year out there to see if he could fix it . Here are the after pics. I am happy as heck as I assume others will be.

Something to remember here before people get upset saying we took the fun away from this trail . It has to stay so a person with a stock 4x4 can do it.
uploadfromtaptalk1398635253051.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398635278225.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398635301406.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398635317744.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398635332878.jpg

I have one last area that still needs attention I am hoping to get the contractor to do send that is where snot hill comes down from Falls Dam to the little camping spot on the corner on Wolf Den. It had a culvert in it that got crushed and was taken out and not replaced. It needs another one in it but for the time being I am trying to put a good water bar there. We have one dug by hand but it needs help. Here are a couple pics from yesterday.
uploadfromtaptalk1398635625487.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398635644311.jpg

And that is where I stand for this trail. I know I have a couple places where it looks like I might need guard rail put in to block illegal trails.

The contractor did the last piece for us today. As of right now Wolf Den should be golden. Will try to get a pic today.

That is what it used to look like. Thanks for that picture.

2nd picture in post 4 here shows that same place from about the same angle. So you can see the difference.

You all have done a heck of a job! Thank you for your hard work!

I look forward to making it down to a work day at some point this year.

Back